gcse further maths

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Decisiontime639

gcse further maths

Post by Decisiontime639 »

Hi all!

anyone know any good resources for aqa level 2 further maths? dd panicking a bit as she can’t find many resources like all the gcse maths ones on the internet! thank you x
Guest55

Re: gcse further maths

Post by Guest55 »

I'm concerned the school are pushing this qualification.

It's far better to ensure she gets a many 9s as possible rather than taking additional qualifications [and my background is teaching Maths!]

Which specification is it? Is it the level 2 or the FMSQ or .....

Here's something to start with: https://corbettmaths.com/more/further-maths/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hera

Post by Hera »

CGP do a revision and work book for the AQA level 2 certificate. I bought them for DS when he was doing it although he never used them. He said doing the further maths course was helpful as it made the transition to maths and further maths A-Level easier. His sister actually worked through the books over lockdown as her school didn't offer further maths and given what DS had said she felt it would be helpful. They seemed quite good and self-explanatory so I would definitely have a look at them.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

If GCSE is taught properly ie whole specification then there is no issue in moving to A level. However some schools cut corners and that's where there are issues.

Students don't need this qualification to excel at A level.
Hera

Post by Hera »

I agree it's not necessary for A-Level but it gives a head start. The maths teaching at DS's school is exceptional.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Hera - I disagree - you can give better support than an additional qualification. A 'head start' is easy without this if you have the right diet in lessons ... the level 2 includes material not even in Maths A level ...

Remember you have to state all grades on UCAS so prejudicing other results can be foolish.
Decisiontime639

Post by Decisiontime639 »

thank you very much :)
i agree- compulsory in top set at dds school so a quarter of the year are doing it.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Parents have to agree GCSE entries so no GCSE can be compulsory.

If there's any doubt of top grades across the board then I avoid it. You can check when the exam is to make sure it's not too close to others.
Hera

Post by Hera »

Decisiontime639 wrote:thank you very much :)
i agree- compulsory in top set at dds school so a quarter of the year are doing it.
Same in my son's school. Infact for the top 2 to 3 sets. They pretty much finished the maths GCSE in year 10 and then did the AQA cert and revision in year 11. I guess it depends on the child and how good the teachers are but for DS it was a positive thing to do.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now