GSCE 2021?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

PerpetualStudent

Re: GSCE 2021?

Post by PerpetualStudent »

So, given the ongoing pressure to cancel the GCSE and A-Level exams later this year how do we avoid a repetition of last year’s exam result trauma?
cazien

Post by cazien »

PerpetualStudent wrote:So, given the ongoing pressure to cancel the GCSE and A-Level exams later this year how do we avoid a repetition of last year’s exam result trauma?
As they have now been cancelled, it's a very good question :cry:
DD's GCSE mocks (due next week) have been cancelled, they have not been doing regular assessments in every subject and predicted grades have not been forthcoming from her school.
I just hope some clarity will be announced sooner rather than later :!:
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

Ds1 had a levels cancelled last year and now dd1 has had her exams cancelled.

Her mocks were due after feb half term

Since September they have been doing continual tests and we were given grade predictions in December.

Waiting for clarity on what the next step is.
food4thought

Post by food4thought »

We were told that exams are going ahead this year. So I am guessing alot of kids didnt worry too much about the assessments. This isnt good. Some form of testing is needed.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

food4thought wrote:We were told that exams are going ahead this year. So I am guessing alot of kids didnt worry too much about the assessments. This isnt good. Some form of testing is needed.
Even in non covid times, ongoing tests and assessments are important. You never know quite what might happen. Some students end up not being able to take their exams for various reasons. Given what happened last year, this was an important lesson for those following after. Take mock exams, tests and assessments etc seriously.

Hopefully they might handle this better than they did last year. (My DD was in year 13 last year). Though given the govs track record, I’m not convinced.
PerpetualStudent

Post by PerpetualStudent »

DD’s school ran year 10 exams in Sept of year 11 so we were given predicted grades in December. DD’s teachers seem to be expecting the year 11 mocks to run in February even if they have to be done remotely. They will be able to do a CAG, having regular test data, but the concern then is about whether it will be externally moderated and whether the powers that be can do any better than they did last year.

At least, without exams, there will be some chance to make up any learning gaps.
I don’t mind so much GCSEs being cancelled - for those going on to 6th form - but I do feel bad for those gearing up for A levels.
sportsforall

Post by sportsforall »

If this year's GCSE cohort, which has larger gaps in learning than last year, go on to A levels will they have missed large chunks of curriculum essential to build on?
nyr

Post by nyr »

As far as I can see, the problem is at all levels in education. My niece is a 4th year medical student and isn't recieving any formal teaching in hospital. It's all quite adhoc and instead they've asked for all hands on deck in the ITU, A&E and covid wards.
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

DS1 received his predicted grades in November, but also sat all mocks before the Christmas break. We haven’t had results back yet, but would assume final grades will incorporate a mixture of both. We’ve all just got a waiting game ahead of us, but hopefully a decision will be made soon so the kids have some clarity.....
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

We've been told mocks will take place whenever the school goes back. They have predicted grades from Christmas report and the summer report based on previous tests and school work. They had tests in October as well.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now