Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Surreyav

online resource sites

Post by Surreyav »

Merry Christmas Everybody

Need your advice and recommendations.

My daughter is in Y10 currently and has opted for seperate sciences for her GCSEs. Her board is OCR.

With the autumn term complete, we are looking at ways we can start revising for sciences.

Not sure why, but there are very few topic tests/past papers available online for OCR compared to AQA.

Should we use AQA material to revise ? Is the content the same ? Looking at Chemistry, yes the atomic structure topic look similar however in OCR, my daughter has covered Particle Model and that seems missing from AQA.

There are online subscription sites available but seem quite expensive. Don't mind paying if it is helpful.

Would be great to know if anybody has tried the online subscriptions like tassomai, edplace etc.

Thanks.
scooby1

Re: online resource sites

Post by scooby1 »

Hello Surreyav,

My son uses this website : https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
has lots of free resources, topic tests and past papers from different exam boards. He also uses Seneca but the school has subscribed. Both cover different exam boards specifications. You could also try BBC Bitesize.
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

DD found that the best resource out there was the my-gcsescience site. You can access the entry level for free so you can try it out before paying, but you have to subscribe for the higher levels. It covers OCR (and the other exam boards) but you choose the specific exam board you want to cover.

It consists of videos, alongside which you can print off a skeleton of the powerpoints used so that you can then take notes onto that skeleton as you watch. Each topic then has exam style questions and answers. DD found it covered right up to the grade 9 material (which seneca didn't seem to) and it was very helpful having everything in one place - in the end it was the only resource she used. She went on to get all 9s in sciences (from a school where this was very rare) and she thinks this site was the reason.
food4thought

Post by food4thought »

I just had a look, we don't need teachers anymore with this website! :-)

I remember my school days, I was lucky to have an old text book, and that was it. If I wanted to find out anything I had to go WHSmiths to browse the text books which were very expensive.... the books in the library were all dated or already out.
Surreyav

Post by Surreyav »

Thanks scooby1
We have looked at Seneca and it seemed great for revision but not for topic tests.

Thanks 2childmum
Yes I remember my-gcsescience was suggested earlier too. Looking at it now. It does look great. Covers all topics. I like that each topic has the exam style questions.

food4thought - I know. Promising resource.

thank you all for your inputs.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now