Combined Science vs 3 individual sciences

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
crazycrofter

Re: Combined Science vs 3 individual sciences

Post by crazycrofter »

The only thing I'd add is to consider whether the triple science will effectively mean your dd does an extra GCSE.

At ds' school they do 11 GCSEs, including triple science, but the weaker students (decided end of year 10) only do combined, which makes 10 GCSEs.

At a different school dd started with 10 GCSEs, and then dropped 1 in year 11 as she found it too much. There's a huge amount to cover and revise for, so we've been thinking that we'll ask for ds to only take combined science, to reduce the load. To me, 11 GCSES is too much workload - dd found 10 too much.
sportsforall

Post by sportsforall »

11 GCSEs is a lot! I thought most schools had moved to nine now, at DDs school you only do 10 is you are also doing PE.
PerpetualStudent

Post by PerpetualStudent »

Interesting! I had assumed the standard number was 10 ( triple science is the default) because that’s what DD’s grammar chose to do :lol: DD’s friend at an indie is doing 11. DD resented not having more options and would have been really frustrated to only have 9 subjects.
pish

Post by pish »

Agree with sportsforall
Standard is 9 subjects (for combined), 10 (for triple)

There is no option for taking additional subjects if combined science is taken, so it's 9 subjects (if combined science taken) OR 10subjects(if triple science is taken). No additional subjects.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now