Summer 22 GCSEs - end in sight!

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sportsforall

Summer 22 GCSEs - end in sight!

Post by sportsforall »

How has it been? This is our first experience of GCSEs (in the modern age!) so didn't really know how it would be. Overall DD seems to have handled it pretty well and the school have been supportive. When DD2 goes through it, I very much doubt it will be quite so smooth :lol:
Aethel

Re: Summer 22 GCSEs - end in sight!

Post by Aethel »

I’ll tell you in three days’ time….. :D
Octsmum

Post by Octsmum »

Fingers crossed for you all - us next year!
salsa

Post by salsa »

Well, very relieved and proud with his results. A miracle considering all the schooling he missed!

Salsa
inkypinkyponky

Post by inkypinkyponky »

Mixed feelings here. DS goes to a normal secondary school (he didn't do the 11+) and has passed 8 out of 9 which is fab, but with passes of 4s and 5s. This means he hasn't done well enough to be offered a place at the two sixth forms he applied to as they want 6s :(

He's got a place at a college in another town as our college has reduced courses to a handful, but he was hoping to get higher marks to give him more choice of where to go.

Oh well, not everyone will be a high flyer and two years of a pandemic hasn't helped those who are not academic at all, he's alway been Mr Average. We're trying to keep his spirits up but he's a bit despondent.
PerpetualStudent

Post by PerpetualStudent »

Congrats Salsa and Inky DC. It’s been a long hard slog and now they get to enjoy the last of the holidays and brand new starts.

Inky, I hope your DS feels better soon and finds he really enjoys the new college.
salsa

Post by salsa »

inkypinkyponky wrote:Mixed feelings here. DS goes to a normal secondary school (he didn't do the 11+) and has passed 8 out of 9 which is fab, but with passes of 4s and 5s. This means he hasn't done well enough to be offered a place at the two sixth forms he applied to as they want 6s :(

He's got a place at a college in another town as our college has reduced courses to a handful, but he was hoping to get higher marks to give him more choice of where to go.

Oh well, not everyone will be a high flyer and two years of a pandemic hasn't helped those who are not academic at all, he's alway been Mr Average. We're trying to keep his spirits up but he's a bit despondent.
Congratulations to your son, inkypinkyponky. I hope he does well in his new college. These were very difficult times for most and he did well in getting all those GCSEs.

Salsa
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

it has been a real slog for these youngsters - reckon the resilience they must have developed to get to these exams will stand them all in good stead in the future

inky - am sure college will work out well, certainly when I was working in the NW many of the pupils who had been to 11-16 schools considered applying to sixth forms but actually many didn't take it up as not always easy to join an established group, they often had a much better time at local colleges
doodles

Post by doodles »

Well done to InkyDC I'm sure he will enjoy college and the courses there.

For what it's worth, back in the day, I did 2 years in my school 6th form then went to the local college for a year to do an additional course before uni. I much preferred college and wished that I'd done my 6th form there.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !