Physics GCSE standards

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
bestpossibleoutcome

Physics GCSE standards

Post by bestpossibleoutcome »

Following a link from the BBC news website, I found the following article and thought it might be of interest to anyone who is interested in the future of the teaching of science in this country.

http://www.wellingtongrey.net/articles/ ... r-aqa.html

I say science rather than physics specifically, (a) because I feel similarly about the content of the Biology course and (b) I followed the link 'comments' at the foot of Wellington Grey's page and found similar disquiet about the Chemistry GCSE.

I think the time is now right for a 'campaign for real education' in this country.

BPO
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I do get concerned about the way everyhting is getting watered down. I passed all of my GCSE Scottish equivalent exams in 1994 with high grades. My mother failed all of her O'levels in the 1960's and yet she still has more knowledge of the English language, French, and the Sciences compared to me, and it is not because she has kept up to date, but because she was taught so well and taught in a way that has meant she has retained this knowledge. I think GCSE'S are too easy. Most kids who pass common entrance to get into 13+ schools are already at the stage where they could sit their GCSE's, and that is not because of pushing or coaching or because these kids are able but because the GCSE's are too easy.

We have a histroy of producing famous scientists but I believe this will not be the case for much longer. Whatever people think of independent education, it is these schools that are taking a stand and opting for new exams. The government should allow the state schools the freedom to choose which exams students sit without the pressure of league tables.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now