gcse geograpy or business studies?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mum of two

gcse geograpy or business studies?

Post by mum of two »

geography or business Studies which is easier to score marks and a good grade. Have no plans to study them on a higher level, more interested in science subjects. Does Business studies involve lots of essays and long answers? Is geography course work take up lot of your time? Please help. options meeting on Monday.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I would have said look at the exam papers but all syllabuses change in September and I'm not sure what in is on-line.

Look at the exam board websites - the school should tell you which syllabus is to be followed:

www.edexcel.org.uk

www.aqa.org.uk

www.ocr.org.uk
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

If you're interested in science then I would suggest geography as some of the topics have a scientific slant.
KB

Post by KB »

Geography used have horrendous course work load but think it may change from next year - sure school will know.
There was also a fair amount of factual learning required for case studies. Agree that it should it have relevence to science but not our experience at GCSE level.
I think Universities would see Geography as being more of an 'academic' option but that may not really matter depending on other options/future plans.

Other issues to consider (?)
which does youngster prefer - likley to work harder & do better?

which teacher do they prefer working with?

if Business studies is seen by other pupils as being softer option - and chosen for this reason - is the class likely to be less focused and more disrupted?

might be worth checking if either subject going to be examined on modular basis - could allow re-sit of modules if necessary

my two have done alot of DofE expeditions so found the map work in geography very easy - they also enjoyed tying the two elements together & doing expeditions in areas they were studying to see physical features in real life which reinforced learning but also interesting!

Best wishes!
Miss Magwich

Post by Miss Magwich »

Business Studies A Level is on the list of soft subjects for Oxbridge so I dread to think that they will think of the GCSE. Geography, however, is a good GCSE if you like either humanities or sciences as it is half physical and half human. There is a lot to learn but it is very interesting and I would definitely recommend it. Hope that helps.
:) Miss Magwich :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now