A level results 2018

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mm23292

Re: A level results 2018

Post by mm23292 »

Well said Guest & Anotherdad....it’s a wonderful way to kick that ‘failure’ back into the past where it belongs. Sadly there are far too many very able children, who are handed that same card. At the mercy of a lottery where places are not necessarily ‘academically’ earned. But we can’t let it define them, as far too often it sadly does. I recall reading similar reassuring success stories back then, and had seen various surprising outcomes with family & friends, enough to know that there seemed very little correlation between the outcomes of the two. A sad reflection of the system perhaps, but success that comes all the more sweet.
Best of luck to all your dc on the next stage of their journey :)
tomum

Post by tomum »

anotherdad wrote:My daughter got what she needed for her first choice.
happy for you anotherdad
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Thanks everyone. There are some really good guides to clearing out there if anyone needs help, and it appears that some very good courses at good universities have places, so don't make any hasty decisions if things haven't worked out as expected.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Many congrats to her, anotherdad, and to all who have got the results they hoped for. :D

I laughed at this summary on the Beeb website. So close to our annual local newspaper coverage, but I shrieked out loud at the Jeremy Clarkson comments. Enjoy!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-45205142" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
piggys

Post by piggys »

Well done all :D
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

Congratulations all.

We’ve got mixed emotions on our end. Happy for ds2 and dd1 that under the circumstances, they achieved excellent results (secured university and apprenticeship place) but also sad that a particular loved one who passed away before their exams, isn’t around to share it.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Sorry to hear that, sincere condolences on your loss DIY Mum - these special days do make us remember who is not there to share the joy with us.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Sorry to hear that DIYmum we are in a similar boat but very good news for your DC.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

Thank-you. Best wishes to you and your family, Tolstoy.
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

DIY sorry for your loss but well done on your children's results. Well done to all the others who have done well too.

For those that haven't quite got what they wanted, I've posted this before. this time last year my son's results didn't pan out as expected and he missed both his offer and insurance by some way. Devastated was an understatement. However he secured a place through clearing on the course he wanted ( Human Geography) and he's loving it and doing really well. We've just been to his lovely shiny second year accommodation which he'll be sharing with some lovely boys and girls he's become friends with during 1st year.

Yes the uni isn't Russell Group and less prestigious than his original choices, but I've told him to work very hard and aim for a 1st and if he still wants to do it after 3 years of studying, we'll help him out with the cost of a Masters.

I couldn't have said this last year on results day ( still fill up thinking of it now) but I really do believe it has worked out for the best.

Can I also say that for those considering remarks, I would definitely do so if you can afford it. Because we didn't need the grades for his course, I didn't get ours done till just before the cut off, and was astonished when 2 of the 3 went up a full grade. I also haven't forgotten that someone who I became friendly with on here, messaged me and offered to pay for them which I was truly touched by. In fact it wasn't the cost that stopped us doing them, but they didn't know that when they offered. I've been on this site for nearly 10 years ( quite unbelievable really ) and for me that summed up the support that I've gained on here and hopefully provided to others.

The very best of luck to all your DC's and if I can offer any advice on setting up for uni please let me know :D