A level results 2018

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Guest55

Re: A level results 2018

Post by Guest55 »

Edexcel are offering free online access to scripts. It's worth asking school to download the paper so it can be looked over by a teacher to see if a re-mark is advised.

Ask for priority re-mark if a uni place depends on it.
MrsChubbs

Post by MrsChubbs »

It really is about time AQA offered this as well.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

All the boards should offer it!
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

TIDDLYMUM wrote:Yes the uni isn't Russell Group and less prestigious than his original choices, but I've told him to work very hard and aim for a 1st and if he still wants to do it after 3 years of studying, we'll help him out with the cost of a Masters.
I'm pleased things have worked out for him. There is an obsession with Russell Group universities in some quarters. I've heard parents - and seen plenty on here - say that they're "aiming for RG universities" or "only considering RG universities" and it's unwarranted. They are universities that have appointed themselves to their own club and done a very good job marketing the view that they are somehow better than those not in their club, which isn't always the case. There are plenty of courses at non-RG institutions that are much better than their counterparts at the RG universities, yet some people are blinded by a bit of marketing spit-and-polish and fail to research properly.

Yesterday a family we know had great disappointment when their son didn't get the grades he needed to take up his place at Oxford. He missed out by one grade and his insurance offer was the same grade profile so he's missed that one too. Huge disappointment for him but compounded by his parents' irresponsibility over recent months. They had a party for friends and family when he received his Oxford offer and have been reminding anyone and everyone ever since that their son is heading to Oxford. For them it was a foregone conclusion. They are pursuing a remark in one subject but when asked about alternatives and clearing, they were quite clear that it would have to be a RG university. The poor lad looked totally crushed. It was bad enough that he was disappointed with his grades, but his stupid parents have created an awful situation from an already difficult one.
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

You are right about the obsession , the most unpleasant posts were on a certain well known chat site. Basically I was told not to bother unless it was RG.

My heart breaks for the boy you mention. I really hope he gets something he is happy with (if not his parents :roll: )
MrsChubbs

Post by MrsChubbs »

Yes should have widened my plead to all boards Guest55 :lol: Feel so sad for that boy anotherdad. I hope he gets support and advice from his school.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

With his grades (which were fantastic) he could get a place on any number of excellent courses. The trouble is that although I'm sure the school will have given good advice, mum and dad went with him so I suspect the school's advice will have been heavily filtered by now.

Theirs is a particularly good (bad?) example of vicarious parenting. Take credit for their son's achievements but look elsewhere for blame when things go wrong. We've already heard the exam board and the teachers being rubbished. He's a lovely lad and once he's wherever he ends up, I hope he has the confidence to lead his own life and make his own decisions. He certainly has the ability and character to do so, if he can escape his parents' control.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Guest55 wrote:All the boards should offer it!
Ditto
anotherdad wrote: He missed out by one grade and his insurance offer was the same grade profile so he's missed that one too.
Poor lad.
In English, for this situation, you say ‘To count your chicken before they are hatched’, whilst French people use a different image: ‘To sell the bearskin before killing the bear’.
It is irresponsible of the parents not to have made him take an insurance choice with lower grades. :(

Crossed with anotherdad's last post
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

JaneEyre wrote:In English, for this situation, you say ‘To count your chicken before they are hatched’, whilst French people use a different image: ‘To sell the bearskin before killing the bear
What a lovely saying. Much nicer than the chicken one. Having seen various businesses going to the wall in recent years, owing millions to their most important suppliers: their staff, I think I'll propose a modern version:

To promise a pension without addressing the gaping deficit in the scheme.
MrsChubbs

Post by MrsChubbs »

Re RG uni's and posting DC's results online, my daughter has just said to me that she is proud to be applying to all the uni's (non RG) she has chosen courses at, but "please don't ever post her results anywhere on the internet". So many of her friends receiving results this year are sharing privately but cringing at their parents declaring "our darling ** is following mummy and daddy by going to X uni this September after getting 12A* at A level."
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now