A level results 2018

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mike1880

Re: A level results 2018

Post by mike1880 »

No, but as you very well know there are some that won't give an offer unless the prediction is higher than their standard offer. In that case you're taking it upon yourself to make sure that student does not get an offer when a similar student from another school would.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I'm not doing anything ... students applied where they want with the full knowledge of predictions. Where I taught we had no problems with students accessing top courses as the unis knew predictions were accurate.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

And your predictions are 100% accurate? No, of course they're not. You're overestimating your own importance in this process.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Pointless discussing with you - believe what you want.
mm23292

Post by mm23292 »

Have to say predictions were fairly accurate at our daughter’s school, and applications and relevant offers, seem to have been based on realistic ambitions!
Our daughter got her predicted grades on two subjects, and a grade up on the third. She also sat a stand alone AS on one subject, which was great for setting the bar I think.
Some students dropped a grade on one or two subjects, but offers still stood, or were offered alternative courses at the same uni. A small few did far worse than anticipated, and missed out on first and back up choices, and had to go through clearing. Although I gather that the expectations here, were driven more by the student/parents, rather than the school, and appropriate advice was not heeded.
I agree re unconditional offers, our daughter rejected her offer, as did quite a few of her friends. And those who took them up, have not fared great at A level, and many have settled for lower ranked unis than they might have otherwise done.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

mm23292 wrote:Some students dropped a grade on one or two subjects, but offers still stood, or were offered alternative courses at the same uni.
That's my perception of how things have panned out for daughter's group.

Daughter was one grade lower than I'd hoped in one subject and one or two higher than I'd feared in another and has her first choice; imho her insurance would probably suit her better but it's nothing to do with me (other than an extra two or three hours on the trip to deliver her).
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now