Do any schools take new pupils in Year 13?

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Middlesexmum

Do any schools take new pupils in Year 13?

Post by Middlesexmum »

I've been reading with interest the thread about 'Year 14'. I didn't want to hijack the thread and our situation is slightly different.

Does anyone know if there are schools who would admit a pupil to do Year 13? Would the exam boards have to be the same as the previous school?
Daogroupie

Re: Do any schools take new pupils in Year 13?

Post by Daogroupie »

The exam boards would certainly have to be the same.

If you have a school in mind I would ask for a meeting with them to see if it would be possible. DG
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I know of someone who moved in year 13 and it was different boards in 2 out of the 3 subjects. HOWEVER, this was a few years ago when AS grades counted towards the final grade, so could be accrued from a different board. The rule was that the same thing couldn't be examined twice, so, for example if the student was studying English Literature they couldn't study the same book at AS & A2 so might have fewer questions to choose from. As I said, now that AS levels no longer count toward A2s I don't know if it would be possible. Even if the two schools studied the same board, the might not do things in the same order. I think the only thing to do would be to ask the potential new school (the student I know of went from a GS to a 6th form college).
scary mum
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

I have checked with one school and they've said no because dd would be out of year and they don't have the funding. Might have to look at independent.
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

Woodhouse College in Finchley say they might be able to help. I have also looked at a private tutorial college but it's very expensive.
CarpeDiem

Post by CarpeDiem »

Yes some schools do though most would ask you to restart year 12.
My DD left her school after taking her GCSEs as she could not fit the courses she wanted to complete into their timetable as some subjects clashed. She then went to a music college, completed a music course equivalent to 2 A levels UCAS points wise whilst also self teaching herself the first year of two A levels.

She asked her school if she could rejoin her year group in year 13 to finish her A levels in April. The criteria she had to meet to rejoin was to take their end of year 12 tests for each subject (they do not offer AS levels at her school anymore) and pass each at around a B minimum. She was studying the same exam boards/ curriculum that the school followed so that was not an issue. It obviously helped that they already knew her and that she has always had a good work ethic. She also had to do an EPQ as well to fill up her timetable which she was more than happy to do.
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

We have applied to Woodhouse College and they say the may be able to help. Does anyone know of any other state options please?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now