IB Language (*2)

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Salma1972

IB Language (*2)

Post by Salma1972 »

Daughter is in third year of a grammar school which provides IB study at sixth form. She has already acquired GCSE [A* all units] two years ago in Japanese Language and is currently studying German and French at the school.

Japanese was independently learnt and exam taken.

Looking far far into the future, we are looking at her language options when she comes to study the IB in order to potentially prepare for A-Level study.

I think that she would be best independently studying Japanese at A-Level and taking either French or German (at ab initio level [only option]), in order that she has two languages capability to demonstrate to Universities.

It is correct isn't it? that she cannot take Japanese IB (at a higher level) elsewhere in addition to at her potential sixth form, other than as ab initio on its own, or with a second language instead of one subject from group "The Arts".

Many thanks in advance.
bondgirl

Re: IB Language (*2)

Post by bondgirl »

I’m not sure I fully understand your question but, in short, it is possible to study two languages as part of the IB. DD did standard German and higher Spanish. It’s probably best to ask the sixth form as there may also be timetabling issues which may place restrictions on which subjects can be studied. I hope you get your answer.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Hi
You could enquire at other schools that teach the IB. I know there are not that many. At Dartford Grammar School, for example, they normally do higher French and German, but only standard Japanese. Having said that, however, this year there wasn’t higher German as there weren’t enough students willing to do it.

My son’s friend was going to do higher German and standard Japanese, but couldn’t for this reason.

You are right in saying that the right combination of subjects is needed, however, my son had the right combination but couldn’t do a subject due to a timetable clash.

Salsa
doodles

Post by doodles »

I would be careful of studying an independent A level alongside the IB. There is more to the IB than just the 6 academic subjects and I would think that an additional A level alongside (even to a native speaker) would be too much.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
RoboR

Post by RoboR »

I would also agree with doodles, the work load for the I.B is very high so I really would think twice about any additional studies.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now