A levels 2022

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
wildwest

Re: A levels 2022

Post by wildwest »

Thank you all supportive parents for responding. This seems like a year long, persistent pressure, with lots of deadlines, assessments and stages. I am doing the 'appear calm and confident in their ability to do it all but be there if they need you and worry in your head' thing.
During her 11+ journey, I knew a bit more of what was going on, and had some input which was sufficient to offer me a sense of purpose and her a sense of direction. However, secondary school has been a totally different journey, with us getting a glimpse of school during parents' evening (when it happened in real life), choirs and shows. Apart from that, it has been minimal. So far, it was fine, as things seemed to flow nicely. But now, as it seems that they are at a crucial stage which would decide the next path in life, it makes me anxious on her behalf. I do feel for the children and then remind myself that we have all been there, and thrived.

Parenting is such a life long learning, a constant act of balancing your own with theirs, be it needs, wants, worries, abilities, independence, values or dreams.

The forum has gone rather quiet these days. Hope all current year 13s are hopeful and those in Uni remain excited and current year 12s are gearing up x
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

parenting is such a balance and doing the right thing at the right time is crucial - I am at the stage of kids with postgraduate degrees but no clue about longer term careers, doing short term jobs on low pay, OK they are getting lots of experience and that is crucial - but giving the right amount of parental input at the right time is still a balancing act!! :shock:
amnash

Post by amnash »

Very nice, and helpful words, from you wildwest and the rest of the parents. I am in the same boat as you are and this thread actually calmed me. DD is my first and like you said I feel less involved, which I understand, but I can’t stop worrying about deadlines and stuff, specially I am not familiar of the system as I haven’t been through it before. I wish the best for all.
One question which might be silly, but I will ask anyway, can the kids prepare different ps for the different programs they are applying to? For example my dd is planning to apply for law as well as ppe?
Also when applying through the UCAS do schools do that or dd should do it herself.

Many thanks in advance.
wildwest wrote:Thank you all supportive parents for responding. This seems like a year long, persistent pressure, with lots of deadlines, assessments and stages. I am doing the 'appear calm and confident in their ability to do it all but be there if they need you and worry in your head' thing.
During her 11+ journey, I knew a bit more of what was going on, and had some input which was sufficient to offer me a sense of purpose and her a sense of direction. However, secondary school has been a totally different journey, with us getting a glimpse of school during parents' evening (when it happened in real life), choirs and shows. Apart from that, it has been minimal. So far, it was fine, as things seemed to flow nicely. But now, as it seems that they are at a crucial stage which would decide the next path in life, it makes me anxious on her behalf. I do feel for the children and then remind myself that we have all been there, and thrived.

Parenting is such a life long learning, a constant act of balancing your own with theirs, be it needs, wants, worries, abilities, independence, values or dreams.

The forum has gone rather quiet these days. Hope all current year 13s are hopeful and those in Uni remain excited and current year 12s are gearing up x
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

If you are applying for different courses they both need to be covered in the one personal statement.
It can be tricky do that unless the courses are very similar eg PPE and politics and economics.
amnash

Post by amnash »

Aha, ok. Thanks Moon unit, I think it wont be that difficult for dd, there are some connections between law and PPE, she is considering law and politics as well.
Moon unit wrote:If you are applying for different courses they both need to be covered in the one personal statement.
It can be tricky do that unless the courses are very similar eg PPE and politics and economics.
TP123

Post by TP123 »

So glad to have found this thread! Very helpful information already. For those experienced parents, please advice on how to help DC through the next few months when they need to juggle A'level tests, mocks as well as university interviews. It all seems so overwhelming (for us and them - poor kids!).

All tips and tricks and guidance will be welcome. Thanks!