A level marking

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:Whilst the exam is in its infancy the marking should be better as there will only be a very small amount of top academics trained to mark it.
Are you sure about that ?

Won't it be moderated in the same way as Ed's Mum says, and also just because it is perceived as elitist does not make it better, I take a very dim view of this type of thing becuase it is trying to prevent the best and most able children of poorer backgrounds having the same opportunities as their counterparts in the independent sector, and once again, I have to cry 'Not Fair'

The sooner it is realised that one education system fit for all is the best way forward the better -I have no doubt that the education system in this country has many flaws, but I believe everyone's energies should be directed to fixing the problems, not finding ways around them.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

The sooner it is realised that one education system fit for all is the best
LFH, I am really surprised that you have written this and I don't think anyone believes this. Did you not opt for GS afterall? Do you really want standards to be as low as possible or for students to strive for the best?

The schools that have opted for this exam want academic excellence not elitism and they are not going to sell their students short because of the disgracefully low standards in the current A'level system. It always makes me laugh that Westminster School has to check that they have covered all of the GCSE an A'level syllabus before the exam because they feel it is inadequate and stifling to its bright cohort.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Cambridge Pre-U is an option in the state sector, as yet, the take up is low. Many in the private sector are also holding back until the Pre-U is a proven qualification.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Looking for help wrote:[
The sooner it is realised that one education system fit for all is the best way forward the better -I have no doubt that the education system in this country has many flaws, but I believe everyone's energies should be directed to fixing the problems, not finding ways around them.
Tipsy I think LFH means it would be better if everyone worked to make the one system better, so that it did fit all.(I think that is what she means)

I don't know though if A levels are still standardised in the way LFH suggests.If they are then it would not do Govt any good to attempt to tweak the results.I had the impression that more students were achieving the highest grades in which case the proportions have changed.

As regards this pre U exam which I know nothing of, sadly it does sound like bright state school pupils will be out of the loop on that one.
Looking for help

Actually Tipsy, I opted for a Catholic School, it just so happens it is a grammar school.
I think it is only right and proper that everyone has access to a good standard of education. I understand that children are of all abilities and provisions are required at both ends of the spectrum to ensure that their education is good and challenging, so there have to be some differences. However the reason I believe that education is in the state it's in is because so many people feel that they can't possibly send their children to such and such a school so they go privately.

I was very nearly in this position last week, and now I feel ashamed that I was nearly deluded into paying 15k a year for something that is my son's right. I will make sure that he will achieve at the comprehensive he will be going to in September and he will make as much of himself there as his brother and sisters did or are doing at their grammar. Incidentally this comprehensive is also Catholic, because that is the thing I will not give in on.

My final point is that at this time of year people are always banging on about dumbing down of standards etc, and I feel very sorry for the children who have worked hard for these dumbed down qualifications who then feel demoralised because it appears they are not as clever as they thought they were :!:
Looking for help

Chelmsford mum wrote:
Tipsy I think LFH means it would be better if everyone worked to make the one system better, so that it did fit all.(I think that is what she means)
You are quite right, that is what I meant :lol:

LFH
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

and now I feel ashamed that I was nearly deluded into paying 15k a year for something that is my son's right
Do you think people should feel shame and are deluded if they opt to send a child to an independent school? I would feel ashamed of myself if I did not do the best for my child with the resources I have.
it appears they are not as clever as they thought they were

I agree, children are being cheated into thinking they are brighter than they are. That does not mean that I do not think they haven't worked hard but the standard of exam and appalling marking does not help. It is not those who criticise the standards that are doing our children a disservice but the factors mentioned above.

CM, A'levels are not given on a percentage basis. I believe an A has a pass mark of 75% (a joke in my opinion) and if you get 75% then you get an A. Not 10% get an A, 30% a B as it used to be in Scotland - don't know if this was the case in England.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

[quote="T.i.p.s.y
CM, A'levels are not given on a percentage basis. I believe an A has a pass mark of 75% (a joke in my opinion) and if you get 75% then you get an A. Not 10% get an A, 30% a B as it used to be in Scotland - don't know if this was the case in England.[/quote]

Yes it did once work like that.I was pretty sure that they had changed that a long time ago.Hence the high number of As .Perhaps they should return to it?

It is a shame when bright children or even not that bright, work really hard to achieve the standard set for them and get their results called into question every year. :cry:
Looking for help

I am only talking about myself, not passing any judgements on anyone else -that is how I felt, I have deep rooted beliefs, and was very nearly convinced to throw them out the window and buy into all that wonderful independent education because we felt very let down by the fact we failed to secure the school we wanted for our son, but not quite.

LFH
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I'm glad you are happy with your decision - it must be such a relief - and he will do well with supportive parents. What's happening about the mobile phone issue?