4th A level -is it too much ?

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Pensby

4th A level -is it too much ?

Post by Pensby »

My DD is doing A levels in Eng lit,Eng lang,Govt and politics and history ( General studies is also studied and critical thinking to AS) she has alwasy intended on dropping Eng lang but seems to have a real flair for it and is doing really well - she is also doing well in the other 3 and dosen't want to drop any of them either.
She is thinking of doing English lit possibly with history at Uni (looking at York,warwick,Liverpool Sheffield) she got 9 a's and 1 a* at gcse and she is predicted all A's at a level

What experince do people have of the advantages /disadvantges of keeping on all 4 Alevels ? (she will have to do General stuides too.)

any opinions experinces to share ? :D
thanks Pensby
hermanmunster

Re: 4th A level -is it too much ?

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Pensby - I think there was some discussion recently about how relevant Eng Lang was if you were doing Eng Lit. Bit of duplication and not sure if the Unis are likely to count both. need to have a look at the prospectuses (prospecti?) and see what they say.
If she has a flair for the subject and is likely to get a good grade then carry on - particularly if the offer she gets does not specify subjects.
Which years is she? Year 12 have still some time to go with 4 subjects (and accurate predictions) whereas year 13 will have done AS so maybe this will help with decision
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pensby

Post by Pensby »

Hi
She is in year 12 and I agree it's early but she's been asking for my opinion/advice and It is useful to have other peoples input ,most prospectuses we have looked at ask for English lit or lang so it's probably no advantage to do both, but she says if she gives lang up she gets 6 free's and since she prefers to work at home what would she use them for.
can you give any links to the discussions you mention ? would be useful to have a look .
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Just been trying to find it ... no luck so far ! wasn't very long ago so will keep looking
Pensby

Post by Pensby »

hi, thanks I appreciate it ! :D
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi just realised it was some stuff I was reading on thestudentroom.co.uk Have you had a look there - all sorts of discussions about A level requirements and combinations.... mind boggling
Pensby

Post by Pensby »

Yes I have ,tho' not looked about this topic much yet -will do !
She has a long way before she has to decide - it's very daunting knowing what is best !
thank pensby
KB

Post by KB »

I agree that you need to research this as the offers may well stipulate which of the English subjects the grades need to be in and exclude any duplication.
Also - while DD may prefer to work at home at the moment she may well find by the time she gets to A2 that she needs as much time as she can get and will be pleased to have the free lessons in school.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... ge#p212763" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It was touched on here, briefly.