2011 A level results

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Belinda

Re: 2011 A level results

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Clare I have PM'd you :)
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

My third child was getting AS results this year, we were on holiday so had to wait in trepidation by the pool for a phone call from a friend. Last year in her GCSEs she was relatively disappointed as she had done not as well as she had hoped. This year with 2As and a B under her belt in her 3 best subjects, she is a very happy little person, and really looking forward to next year. I am so proud of her, as she took the GCSEs as a wake up call, and put in lots of effort in year 12. Hopefully this is a message to some who don't necessarily do as well as they have hoped for in GCSEs that it is not the end of the world, things can and do get better. :D
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Looking for help wrote:Hopefully this is a message to some who don't necessarily do as well as they have hoped for in GCSEs that it is not the end of the world, things can and do get better. :D
Well done your DC! :) Same thing happened to our DD - she didn't do too badly at GCSE but knew she could have done better. She pulled up a bit for AS but her first set of A2 modules this year pointed to a downward trend in the overall marks, so there were concerns for the A2 grades. However, after pulling out all the stops and putting in a sterling effort she's ended up with all A grades and is now very well placed to put in another application for vet school next year :) ...or possibly the year after as she is thinking of taking an extra year out to save up her first year's tuition fees. (Cheers Dave and Nick! :evil:) .
Marylou
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Well done to your daughter, Marylou, and Belinda! 3Bs with no work is pretty impressive, I have to say, and well done to your older daughter too :D

My oldest is also stumping rent over the summer, and yet staying at home too. (I say he, actually I mean me :evil: )
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Thanks for your good wishes LFH and Belinda! Can't say I blame DCs for choosing home comforts over a (probably) deserted student house...vexing that they have to pay so much rent in the holidays, though.

Great results for your DCs, Belinda - good grades for DC3 with so little work, suggesting that she could fulfil her potential by putting in more time next year. :)

It must be hard for our DCs to constantly have to be thinking about the next set of exams. I remember the first year of 6th form as being relatively relaxed. No such thing as AS or January modules in those days! :?
Marylou
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

To be honest it's not much fun for teachers either. :lol:

It was much more pleasant when we could explore the syllabus a bit more rather than having to constantly keep modules dates in mind ....
Sassie'sDad

Post by Sassie'sDad »

Late to the scene but not to disappoint there has been some truly dire marking this time round and some high-flyer s have had their Oxbridge chances compromised, been advised to have their papers re-marked or even to re-apply next year.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Sassie's Dad this is no longer true as there is priority remarking for A2 these days. The remark comes back in time for the cut-off of 31st August.

You are correct in that this used to be the case ....