disappointing AS level results

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
hermanmunster

Re: disappointing AS level results

Post by hermanmunster »

Sounds promising!

Difference when she goes to school is that they may be rather grudging at accepting her back and make her feel less than wanted, whereas the chap at the college has obviously done a great job in boosting her confidence and considering what is best for her and recognising her acheivements so far.

A really difficult decision for you all - distances can be a pain when it comes to school....
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

hermanmunster wrote: A really difficult decision for you all - distances can be a pain when it comes to school....
Indeed - it would mean 4 children in 4 different schools, spread around a rural area, and me in another! Simply trying to get to parents' evenings is a logistical nightmare. Have also googled 'use of maths' A level - doesn't sound too promising, but have set DD task of researching uni courses she may be interested in, check entry criteria and to ring a couple of unis after the weekend to see if they will accept use of maths. Can't face any more disasters.

Got the impression from school that they wanted to make a point - I agree with them that she could have worked harder and didn't seek help as promptly as she should, but they haven't been very helpful and I've had a horrible week. Definitely got the impression they're looking at league tables. My poor OH still believes the job of a school is to nurture its pupils and enable them to achieve the best they can, whatever that may be.

Will let you know final decision.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

I know someone who didn't do as well as expected in AS exams, was allowed to repeat Year 12 with a different set of A-levels, and ended up with an offer from a good university to study law.

I agree with your OH on this - I do hope your school can be persuaded to be more accommodating and take their eye off the league tables for a moment. I really think that some students take a while to get "into" A-level study, which is quite a jump from GCSE. I also believe that everyone deserves a second chance.

Wishing you and your DD all the very best and I hope it all works out for her. :)
Marylou
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

Hi - a little update

DD going back to school to start the 6th form again, with a slightly different mix of A levels. She will continue with the 2 she enjoyed and take 2 others she enjoyed at GCSE - chemistry, French, Biology and Food technology.

School were quite positive - having asked her to come in for an interview. I think the first interview was meant to shock her and it had the desired effect on us all. I have heard since that about a third of the year got poor AS results and were hauled in for a telling off. A few have left, about a dozen are repeating the year, but most are going straight on to A2s. DD not happy to continue with the grades she got having researched some courses she might have been able to apply for.

Let's hope she's grown up and learnt avaluable lesson.

Thanks for all your help, hopefully next year I'll be reporting a very successful year and brilliant grades. :wink:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

hope all goes well and glad things have turned out OK.
Sounds a bit like another GS I knew of who had a major shake up last year after AS - many left and many had to rethink... Not sure what has happened this year!
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

I've just caught up with this discussion. I hope everything has turned out for Yvonne and I am so pleased for Wonderwoman, your OH and of course most importantly, your DD. :D :D A friend of mine was in the same position a few years back, her son got 4 Ds in his ASs, the school gave him a hard time but allowed him back to resit, he worked incredibly hard and got two As a B and a C in resits. He is now studying Engineering at Loughborough and is very happy. I was at their house when the results of the resits came through and my friend couldn't stop crying with the relief of it all. I'm not a great fan of the ASs, I know there is the argument that they can be a wakeup call, however, it seems that lots of young people find the transition from GCSE to AS a bit of a jump and before they have adjusted to the new way of working they are sitting modules in January. As for you feeling responsible I think Looking for help summed it up, as Mum's we always seem to blame ourselves when things don't work out for our children. You are obviously a very supportive Mum and I am sure your DD knows this. I wish your DD lots of success! :)
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

A bit of an update:

The first half term has been very difficult lots of tears :(
First some of her 'friends' were unkind and wouldn't let her join in with upper 6th activities, one mother kindly asked how DD was doing and then went onto say "I know there has been a bit of light hearted banter." I found I couldn't reply.

Second instead of the fresh start she was promised some staff have kept reminding her, in front of the new class, that she should know this, that or the other, and "did you really learn nothing last year?"

Cue 2 visits to school, I told them I was not happy with the negative attitude and felt they had been unsupportive. Got a letter from senior member of staff summoning me in again. After an aggressive start he did concede that staff should be supportive and helpful. I also pointed out that as a quarter of the year group had performed badly they bore some responsibility for that.
Not entirely happy with his reply - I accept DD did not put in the work, but we sent a bright, well motivated girl to that school. Six years later she is demotivated, feels nothing she does is good enough - I would add that the lowest mark she has had so far is a B, but still they criticise.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Sorry you and she are having a bad time. I would have expected the school to be better than this. Your poor daughter, bless her, only trying to do her best, it seems really unfair. I imagine she's also really fed up with her 'friends' as well.

It's difficult to advise, I just hope things improve for her soon. I imagine the school won't want to take any responsibility for their students not doing so well. I know at our school they are always banging on about driving lessons and social lives and part time jobs getting in the way of school, as if this somehow absolves them of any responsibiity for exam results, until of course the big day itself when the cameras from the local rag are there, and suddenly its all down to them :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now