Help needed with A' Level choices

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Fran17

Help needed with A' Level choices

Post by Fran17 »

My middle DS is in the very lucky position of liking nearly all the subjects he is doing to GCSE and is doing very well in all of them. He has to give an indication to his school, which subjects he would like to carry on to A' level in a couple of weeks time, and doesn't know what degree he would like to study for and has even less of a clue about what he would like to do for a career. We have encouraged him to study the subjects which he enjoys the most. After much thought he has just told me he would like to do Maths and Economics and would like to do maybe History, English or RS. Can anyone give us some advice as to whether this would be an acceptable combination. He and we think that maybe Physics would be more compatible with this combination and he likes and is doing very well in said subject, however, he (slightly) prefers the subjects I have previously mentioned. All six formers at his school take an A'Level in General Studies as well. Any advice would be very much appreciated. :)
Guest55

Re: Help needed with A' Level choices

Post by Guest55 »

Those chocies would rule out a Science/Engineering/Medicine type degree as you need Maths and Physics but they are a good selection for practically anything else.

It's very early to make decisions ... look at the results at A2 - avoid any subjects where high grades are not achieved by anyone.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

I agree Guest 55, it is awfully early to try to decide which A'levels he wants to do. He is lucky to go to a very good grammar, it has a very successful 6th form and it seems to get strong results in all subjects. Thank you for your reply and very sound advice as usual. :)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I have noticed a tendency in Bucks for the Sixth Form Open Evening to be earlier and earlier - as if each school wants to be the first! They used to be February/March by now they are October/November .....

Sometimes there is a 'straw' poll of choices so blocks can be altered/amended and then there is a final choice later - when you get the prospectus/option booklet you will see when a final choice has to be made.

It is not unknown for students to change their mind in August ... but an unexpectedly good result in less favoured subject should not be considered ahead of subjects that are enjoyed. There is also the risk that groups can be full and not open to take additional students.

I would look at UK course finder which we found quite useful for narrowing options - its aimed at University entrance but might give likely degree options.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

I think you are right Guest55, they are provisional options probably aimed at helping the school to decide upon subject blocks. He will be asked towards the end of the year for his final choices. It's actually not a bad thing for him to start thinking seriously about it, but it's so difficult to make a choice when he hasn't got a particular degree in mind.

We are off to look at UK course finder. Many thanks! :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now