OCR FSMQ additional maths 6993 advanced level

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Tracy

OCR FSMQ additional maths 6993 advanced level

Post by Tracy »

Hi,

Is there anyone out there who knows anything about this exam?
My dd is in year 11 and taking this paper in June.
She would really like a revision guide that takes her through each question type one step at a time.
She seems to get some question types but others stump her. When prompted she knows what to do but her problem seems to be recognising what to do and when. I am unable to help. :oops:
She is not doing A level maths in the 6th form.

DD loves books like CGP, is there anything out there that could help?

Thanks.
Guest55

Re: OCR FSMQ additional maths 6993 advanced level

Post by Guest55 »

It's not an A level it's a FSMQ - free-standing Maths qualification.

It is an exam some schools take in Year 11 - there will be past papers but it has quite a small entry so I don't know if they'd be a revision guide.

http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/ty ... documents/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Thanks for the reply, guest 55, I have copied the info from last year's past paper and it clearly states 'advanced level'.

Now I realise that this exam might differ somewhat from what I understand to be 'proper A levels' but it still looks soooo hard. :oops:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

The FSMQ used to be done various levels including advanced but it is a GCSE stage qualification (think it is just the one level now)

DS did it along with his maths set who had done the GCSE in the November of year 11.

here is the spec for it:

http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/kd/ocr_1 ... q_spec.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

also some info about the mark schemes and the examiners reports http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/ty ... documents/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ql7gt3ssJBtku0kS

Post by ql7gt3ssJBtku0kS »

There's a recent revision guide. It's pretty good. Amazon have it.

Link removed
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Thanks for the help. We have the past papers and mark schemes.
I have looked at the link guest 55 has sent and there is another link that recommends a book for this specific paper. I then went to Amazon and, hey presto, it was there with great reviews. One book ordered.
Hopefully it will be beneficial. :D
Guest 55 comes to the rescue again! Thank you SO much x
Amber

Post by Amber »

DD is taking this exam in June too. She has the Hodder Revision guide 'OCR Additiional Mathematics' by Michael Ling. She rates it 'not that good', but admits 'I do use it though'.
THe FSMQ is not a GCSE level qualification, it is free standing and as I understand it it is higher than GCSE. Certainly when we were looking at sixth forms the maths teachers told us that she would have covered a fair bit of AS stuff by doing it. Looks impossible to me.
solimum

Post by solimum »

DD and most of her (top) maths set found this course difficult and I'm not sure how many of them went on to take it having had disappointing mock results. However she went on to do A level maths and said suddenly it all made sense, so hopefully the work wasn't wasted
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

My dd is also in the top set and has taken her maths gcse already. All the kids in that set achieved either an a or a* yet are really struggling with this additional maths exam. The mocks were poor across the board. There are only a few left that are actually taking the exam, the others having dropped out.
DD wants to give it a go but she is such a perfectionist and doesn't want a low grade on her certificate!
I don't want to add to the stress so at the moment can't really work out whether she should go for it or give up.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Tracy wrote:My dd is also in the top set and has taken her maths gcse already. All the kids in that set achieved either an a or a* yet are really struggling with this additional maths exam. The mocks were poor across the board. There are only a few left that are actually taking the exam, the others having dropped out.
DD wants to give it a go but she is such a perfectionist and doesn't want a low grade on her certificate!
I don't want to add to the stress so at the moment can't really work out whether she should go for it or give up.
Cough! Cough! It is a very strange exam. Take a look at the raw scores required for top grade (A) last year 62%. DS1 was told 40% was required in mock to sit the paper by his masters, and 40% he was given.

If you can cope with it, it does look like a great stepping stone to AS maths, from my parent's point of view. :)