Results Day

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

doodles

Re: Results Day

Post by doodles »

yoyo123 wrote::D

well done to everyone who got the results they wanted and fingers crossed for those who may have to do a bit of a rethink..

Well done to everybody who got the results they needed. Speaking from experience many years ago a bit of a rethink was the best thing that could have happened. Good luck everybody.
harlequin

Post by harlequin »

Well unfortunately DD didn't get the grades required for either Uni so we are having to go through Clearing. We are both very disappointed. :(

However, fortunately she's been offered a place at Teesside Uni which is very near Durham (her first choice). Don't know what this Uni is like as not visited before so if anyone has a DD or DS studying there, any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Harlequin
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Hi harlequin. Any one of us could have been in your position today. No matter how hard they work, sometimes things just don't go their way.

I had a long chat with a friend last night who reminded me that her daughter went through Clearing a few years ago and couldn't be happier now. It is an awful time for them. My son spent most of the night awake speaking to his friends via twitter and facebook and they all kept each other going.

I wish your daughter lots of luck for the future and hope she loves her uni.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Congratulations, Fran. Harlequin, sorry for the position you find yourselves in. My daughter's best friend is in the same position, and trying to find something in clearing. It is horrible, but I'm sure it will be fine in the end. I don't know anything about Teeside, I'm sure it's fine, and your daughter will do well . It's just a tough day but things will improve. My older daughter was in this position a couple of years ago, and is now finishing a business degree, while working at the same time.(huge benefit of no debt, company is paying :D ) She has recently moved into her own flat, and wouldn't change things for the world. Although on her results day she was beside herself.
harlequin

Post by harlequin »

Hi Fran17 & LFH

Thanks for your kind words and support. I'm sure there are many others in the same situation. They say everything happens for a reason and I'm sure things will work out Ok in the end.

Best of luck to your DS and everyone else waiting for results and going to Uni this year.

Harlequin
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Dear Harlequin, really hope it works out for you. A dear friend of mine had her dd in tears in her bedroom tonight. She got A*, A A, but lost both university places as they both wanted an A* in the subject she got the A in. So she was in her room crying while all her friends were out celebrating. I feel quite ashamed about the BB offer I had for Univeristy back in the day. Guest55 congrats to your ds, how do you look at the grade boundaries, I would really like to see them, thanks DG
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

AQA grade boundaries are here: http://web.aqa.org.uk/exams-office/abou ... daries.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and edexcel here: http://www.edexcel.com/iwantto/pages/gc ... aries.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PS do feel so sorry about this
A dear friend of mine had her dd in tears in her bedroom tonight. She got A*, A A, but lost both university places as they both wanted an A* in the subject she got the A in
A* is horribly hard to get as it requires over 90/100 in all A2 modules (or an average of .. I can't remember). In some subjects it is easier than others but in some, particularly essay type it is so hard. Hope she gets sorted out OK - awful that neither uni wanted her
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

Big congratulations to everyone whose DC got the grades they needed or even better.
harlequin wrote:Well unfortunately DD didn't get the grades required for either Uni so we are having to go through Clearing. We are both very disappointed. :(

However, fortunately she's been offered a place at Teesside Uni which is very near Durham (her first choice). Don't know what this Uni is like as not visited before so if anyone has a DD or DS studying there, any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Harlequin
It must be very disappointing, but you will hear over and over again it's not as bad as it seems. I think the thing is for you as a parent to be rational - look at those courses on offer carefully. Is it really what your DD wants to do? Or will it be better taking a year out and reapplying next year. I think it must be stressful having to make snap decisions. I hope your DD's school will give good advice.
A friend's daughter didn't get into dentistry 2 years ago (missed by one grade), didn't go through clearing, worked, reapplied to different unis with her grades, got an unconditional offer and has just finished the most wonderful year.

Years ago I had an offer of 2 Es. Of course that was in the bag so I freely admit I did no work what so ever and then failed! It was hugely embarrassing, but I've never regretted the resit year, not even at the time. I raised my grades to As, something I never thought (at the time) I could achieve, spent time training and competing 2 horses and it left me with a completely different work ethic. It changed the course of my life and I am very grateful for that.

I'm sure you DD hasn't done anything on that scale - good luck, let us know how it works out.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Wow, that is fantastic! How many A2's is he planning to take? Which ones does he have , it is a range over arts and sciences? DG