Results Day

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

harlequin

Re: Results Day

Post by harlequin »

wonderwoman wrote:Big congratulations to everyone whose DC got the grades they needed or even better.
harlequin wrote:Well unfortunately DD didn't get the grades required for either Uni so we are having to go through Clearing. We are both very disappointed. :(

However, fortunately she's been offered a place at Teesside Uni which is very near Durham (her first choice). Don't know what this Uni is like as not visited before so if anyone has a DD or DS studying there, any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Harlequin
It must be very disappointing, but you will hear over and over again it's not as bad as it seems. I think the thing is for you as a parent to be rational - look at those courses on offer carefully. Is it really what your DD wants to do? Or will it be better taking a year out and reapplying next year. I think it must be stressful having to make snap decisions. I hope your DD's school will give good advice.
A friend's daughter didn't get into dentistry 2 years ago (missed by one grade), didn't go through clearing, worked, reapplied to different unis with her grades, got an unconditional offer and has just finished the most wonderful year.

Years ago I had an offer of 2 Es. Of course that was in the bag so I freely admit I did no work what so ever and then failed! It was hugely embarrassing, but I've never regretted the resit year, not even at the time. I raised my grades to As, something I never thought (at the time) I could achieve, spent time training and competing 2 horses and it left me with a completely different work ethic. It changed the course of my life and I am very grateful for that.

I'm sure you DD hasn't done anything on that scale - good luck, let us know how it works out.
Hi wonderwoman

Just to explain what happened. When my DD went to her school, to collect her results there were no teachers around to offer any advice whatsover! We had to rely on speaking to a cousin of mine who is a careers adviser to seek advice on best course of action!

Anyway, my DD managed to find a place through Clearing at Teesside Uni who were very helpful on the phone and gave us verbal confirmation of a place.

We based our decision on Teesside Uni for various reasons: the course is very similar to Durham, student satisfaction is very high, the fees are lower as is the cost of accommodation.

However, her insurance choice Uni on the other hand were the quite the opposite and told my DD that the grade requirements had been changed and they were now asking for higher grades!

After several attempts last night to log in to UCAS (system kept crashing!), we eventually managed to secure her place and later on got another phone call from Teesside Uni assuring us that they had accepted her on this course. We are now waiting for a letter confirming her place which should come soon.

My DD is quite philosophical about the outcome and said there is no use looking back on how things could have turned out.

It has been the most nerve wracking time of our lives and not one that I would wish on anyone! There is hope for others who find themselves in the same position as us.

Harlequin
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Harlequin - so pleased to hear a place has been sorted.

I find it very odd that there were no teachers around - we always have a good number around and yesterday was the first one I've missed in many years.
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

Hi Harlequin
So pleased you have sorted everything out so quickly, well done. It is shocking that teachers were not there, unforgiveable actually.

Your DD sounds extremely mature - what an excellent attitude.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Very glad you have sorted out everything so quickly, Harlequin. I agree with wonderwoman; it is awful that teachers were not available to give advice. There were loads at DD's school and everyone was asked to speak to the head or head of 6th form before leaving.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Belinda - did her parents get the school to write to her firm to explain the circumstances? I know when similar things have happened then a letter before results are issued has helped with a slightly lower result.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Good for her to be so proactive in phoning all the medical schools. I would want a candidate who was prepared to do this. They get these great results and are made to feel like failures because they are a grade down. How far was she from the A grade boundary? DG
Belinda

Post by Belinda »