A* at A level and AS grades

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
hermanmunster

Re: A* at a level and AS grades

Post by hermanmunster »

Actually Steve I think it is 80% overall (320UMS A grade) and 90% in A2 modules to get the A*.

90% overall is admirable but not essential.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

I think you're right. :D

So the bias is much more towards the A2. I'll forget to mention that to DS1 until next year. I've had to point out to him that for Biology AS he only needs 75% raw to get an A, so with effort that is achievable.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Does get a bit odd at A2 - heard of one lad needing about 15% in his last A2 module to get an A but of course 90+% to get the A*.... can end up with a bit of not really trying if the A* is not essential!
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

Thank you so much everyone. She has just sent Oxbridge application off and when at a college open day there were tens and tens of young people taking 5 A2 levels etc and made us feel anxious. She can only take 3 at her school, I know Oxbridge say that 3 is what they look for but surely if so done has 5 high grades they will be considered more highly.....
However, I realise the process so much more than that, she has 3 essays to send in, plus a test and an essay and 2 interviews (if she gets chosen for interview) so it is a long long process.....
Fingers crossed for her. :D
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

neveragain* wrote: Fingers crossed for her. :D
Yes, good luck! And don't be put off by all the applicants with hoards of A2s - the universities are well aware that offering more than three simply isn't possible for many schools due to timetabling issues, cost, staffing, etc. And thanks for raising the A* question as I too have never been able to get my head around it! :oops:
Marylou
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

Thank you. As some forum users will know we were all quite anxious and almost anti Oxbridge but were blown away by the course offered at Cambridge - just exactly what she wanted, and by the feel of the college.
She has had a difficult year as lots of you will know, compounded by this weeks terrible, events in our family but has still shown huge resilience and got fab AS results. Lets hope she can keep that 90 and above average this year ... :?
She now desperately wants an offer....... :|
My fingers will be numb and swollen by January......and then the wait til August......
Guest55

Re: A* at A level and AS grades

Post by Guest55 »

Maths is different (of course!)

There are 6 modules so you need 480+UMS but need to score at least 180 UMS on C3 and C4.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now