Nosy thread about Y11s choosing A levels

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
aliportico

Nosy thread about Y11s choosing A levels

Post by aliportico »

So, when do your kids have to choose, and what are they thinking of?

Mine has to give in her first set of preferences by the end of this term. She definitely wants to do Marys and English. Pondering over Drama, Sociology, and Classical Civilisation. I'm a bit "are these real subjects? :? " about these, but they seem fine for anything she might want to end up doing at university.
tense

Re: Nosy thread about Y11s choosing A levels

Post by tense »

Mine has already submitted her choices, but will be able to tinker with them right up until the start of September (in theory of course).

She wants to do Further Maths / English / French & PE. Am a bit :cry: about the PE (like you, I think is that 'real'?!) but am coming to that stage with my DD where I have to say my piece & then stand back (which is very very hard & I don't always manage it...).
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Marys
That's a new one to me :D
scary mum
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

Blooming swype! I usually check, but lol, Marys = Maths :-)
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

Maths and further maths, and 3 more, tense? Dd1's school only do 4 max, even if the 4th is FM, as far as I can tell. They have to do enrichment as well though - gcse Spanish or Greek over 2 years, or a Sports Leadership thing, or AS Critical thinking, then a2 CT or the EPQ.

And yes, these first preferences are so the school can draw up the option blocks, then they do their real choices at the end of Feb, but they're not set in stone until the beginning of y12. They were even told this week that if they leave to do 6th form elsewhere, then get there and hate it, that they can come back in the first week or so of y12!
Last edited by aliportico on Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

DS1's current future plans consist of something to do with Genetics, so definitely Biology and Chemistry, then some combination of Maths / Physics / Drama. Oddly, whereas his own GS and the one which is probably his first choice seem quite happy with the idea of doing a mixture of sciences and Drama, the drama teacher he spoke to last night at our local college (DS1 and DD left to own devices whilst I retraced our steps looking for his mislaid coat :roll: ) said that it was not something that they would normally recommend.
Last edited by ToadMum on Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

I'm going to worry (a bit) this year. DC 1,2&3 knew firmly what subjects they wanted to study in sixth form. DC4 has not a clue. Not in any direction inclined with subject blends either e.g. sciences, humanities. :? And they have to make choices and fill in forms by February/March with no guarantee of being able to change post August results / start of Y12. :(
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

Dd1's GS seem to be perfectly happy with arts/science mixtures - the drama teacher told me last night that someone is doing drama with maths/sciences. There are also a fair number of them doing Maths and English, which I thought was a bit unusual when dd first mentioned it (although my brother did maths, English and economics!), but seeing as about 3/4 of them do AS Maths, I suppose not all of them are doing sciences as well.

She'd veered away from Drama, and I was thinking that Maths, English, Classical Civ and Sociology seemed a bit unfocused. Think swapping Sociology for Drama looks a bit more coherent. Also, I asked the Sociology teacher what was the advantage of studying it at A level rather than waiting until university level, and she waffled at length and then told me that it would make them more interested in the news sooner! I have nothing against sociology - dh did it as his degree - but can't quite see the point of doing it at 16, when it's bound to be rather simplified. Especially as dd1 is already very interested in current affairs ;-)
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

I think, if the child isn't tied down by Uni / Career choice, a healthy mixture at A level is a good thing.
tense

Post by tense »

Aliportico, Further Maths will only count as one choice (even though it obviously includes maths too) and she has to have four. Most people will drop one subject after AS level. With the confidence of a 16 year old who is an A* student despite minimum effort, my DD is currently convinced she will keep them all on :roll: I think she's in for a bit of a shock!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now