Nosy thread about Y11s choosing A levels

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
KenR

Re: Nosy thread about Y11s choosing A levels

Post by KenR »

What I mean by 'ignored' that if the standard offer is AAA then that has to be achieved from Year 13 results! So an A or A* in A level Maths in Year 12 is not 'counted' in the offer.
We looked into this and in practice this is ignored by most univerisities. e.g. this is the response from Bath

http://www.bath.ac.uk/math-sci/admissio ... levelmaths
FAQ
My school teaches the whole of A level Maths in year 12 and we take our exams then. We then do the whole of Further Maths in year 13. Is that ok, because some universities seem to think you have an advantage if you are only sitting two A levels in year 13?

We do not mind
Same applies to Durham

We also had the same issue with GCSEs, my son (now in U6) studied and passed IGCSE Maths and Biology via distance learning in year-7 some years ago and got Grade As and then took GCSE Maths and Biology in year-11 and got A*s - he is still allowed to count his GCSEs
moved

Post by moved »

DS has to make his choices soon. Both maths, physics, chemistry and biology. They have to take general studies, which he will hate and he would perhaps like to take A2 French as he takes AS this year along with half the year group.

They are the first year to take AS in year 11, but I don't know what provision there is for A2 in year 12.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

KenR - many Universities DO want to see three A levels taken in Year 13.

Moved - I trust the school will think carefully so they do not end up having to get 6 A levels ...
moved

Post by moved »

I'm sure they won't! It would be better in my opinion to take French in year 12 than have to take general studies!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes - General studies isn't counted by most Universities and is, imho, a complete waste of time!
HimandHer

Post by HimandHer »

If you have an A* in A-level Maths, universities will almost certainly count it (UCL, Durham, Nottingham, Exeter, Warwick, LSE do for sure) and give an AA offer in year 13.

The exception here is Oxbridge, who have been known to ignore an A* and give an A*AA offer again (although the A* probably helps in persuading them to give an offer).

However, most of them will expect you to take three subjects in year 13 anyway, and some may even ask for AAE just to make sure you continue the third subject.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now