Computing or Chemistry

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
secondtime

Computing or Chemistry

Post by secondtime »

DS filling in his option form.

Has selected Maths, Further Maths, Physics and German. Is struggling to make up his mind between Computing and Chemistry.

Any advice?

He is doing both Computing and Chemistry now - both predicted A* - and he enjoys both!

Thanks
Okanagan

Re: Computing or Chemistry

Post by Okanagan »

Does he have any idea what he wants to do afterwards? Is one of these more relevant to that than the other?
secondtime

Post by secondtime »

Absolutely no idea! And that is the problem.
He has mentioned Physics (but that may change to Maths overnight!) ie no real idea :?
Sallyltb

Post by Sallyltb »

Many physical science courses want Chemistry A level as part of their entry requirements. I don't think Computing is a requirement anywhere. On the basis that Chemistry keeps more options open, I would choose that.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Sallyltb wrote:Many physical science courses want Chemistry A level as part of their entry requirements. I don't think Computing is a requirement anywhere. On the basis that Chemistry keeps more options open, I would choose that.
+1
secondtime

Post by secondtime »

My thoughts exactly!
DS has an inclination towards Computing although deep down he knows Chemistry may be best.

Given it is his fifth option, I assume it is likely he will drop one at AS so am I making a fuss over nothing?

I have sent him to school today to talk to the Physics, Chemistry and Computing teachers to get their views.
First child to do A levels and feel a bit clueless tbh.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

I would lean towards Chemistry too.

Mind you that German might come in handy. :wink:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/un ... rmany.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

stevew61 wrote:I would lean towards Chemistry too.

Mind you that German might come in handy. :wink:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/un ... rmany.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

we had a look at germany for first degree but they had a somewhat frustrating application system that did not fit with UK exams - you had to apply by July and have ALL your results ... no predictions... OK so A levels don't come out until mid August and they didn't want to give conditional offers.

They in August and tell you if you have a place in early september to start October ... on the whole most students would want to have sorted themselves before that and I likely to have accepted somewhere else.

the dutch are more organised - apply for start in september or february and do give conditionals.

sorry rather OT :oops:
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

In terms of keeping options open I would also recommend chemistry over computing. The Maths / FM keeps 'computing' careers firmly open but dropping chemistry (now) closes (some) doors. It is inevitable, at this stage, that doors close on certain career paths. It's a tough decision for our DC and one that it ongoing in our house too at the moment. A DD with no idea what to do - caught between science and humanities. I can only explain options, choices, consequences and ask her to think long and hard about it. I asked her to try and picture herself at 25, leaving for work in the morning... Where was she going? Where would she like to be going? Didn't help!

If DS really does not know what he wants to do make sure he understands that dropping chemistry will close some doors. It's his decision, and a big one. DD is doing a physics degree and there is a fair bit of chemistry there too. Some physics based 'careers' need quite a bit of chemistry. DS can of course still do a physics degree without chemistry but he may steer well clear of chemistry based modules without an A / AS level in it. Maybe this suits him though!
KB

Post by KB »

another vote for Chemistry

agree that is a better choice with Physics

also - experience is that it has significant course work and that generally seems to result in less secure predicted results
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now