Can you do Physics at A level without doing Maths too?

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
pinkpanther

Re: Can you do Physics at A level without doing Maths too?

Post by pinkpanther »

Looking at it from a completely different angle, I think taking too many science subjects can sometime make the CV too one-dimensional. It would probably be good to have a subject which makes his CV look more robust - he can drop the subject after AS.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

If you've not done so, it's probably a good idea for you (and your DS) to become familiar with TSR Medicine stalking page (and associated medicine / dentistry pages).

Maybe start here...
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also this one...
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Me ... 2013_Entry" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Research the schools and apply based on your DS's strengths. If he has a b at AS that he is dropping, it doesn't rule out a successful application.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/De ... 2013_Entry" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dentistry Stalking Page.

Also, the main page (with links) is useful to ask questions.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=195" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) Medicine

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=194" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Dentistry

You'll find lots of useful information on these threads that may help your DS to make his decision. :D

My niece is a re-applicant this year.
Best wishes.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Sorry, going OT a bit from which subject to choose but it's worth noting that AAA at A2 is the minimum required! Lots have more. Remember too though that 'academics' is just one part.

I think I read somewhere that receiving 4 rejections puts you in a group with 60% of all applicants! :shock:

APPLY WISELY (when the time comes)
:D
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Belinda wrote:I think I read somewhere that receiving 4 rejections puts you in a group with 60% of all applicants! :shock:
Also OT but in support of Belinda's comments and the subject of reapplying. If this figure is for medicine, I can well believe it. I think it makes sense to treat an application for a highly competitive course as a two-year rather than a one-year process, treating the first application as a practice run, focusing on getting the best possible grades and regarding as a bonus any offers obtained during the first year of trying!

Speaking from experience, as DD needed two attempts to get a place on a veterinary course. First year - no interviews, four rejections. Second year - three interviews, one offer.

We also found TSR invaluable!
Marylou
zorro

Post by zorro »

Maybe I won't tell him that just yet! :lol:
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

zorro wrote:Maybe I won't tell him that just yet! :lol:
:lol:

Sorry - sounds like putting the dampers on, but honestly not - it's just so you know the reapplication scenario is really not that unusual and worth keeping up your sleeve to suggest if things don't immediately go according to plan. :)
Marylou
Bromleymum1

Post by Bromleymum1 »

Marylou

My DD is interested in becoming a vet. What did your DC do during the year she had to wait before reapplying? Did she do any animal related voluntary work? Sorry that this is off subject!
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Bromleymum1 wrote:Marylou

My DD is interested in becoming a vet. What did your DC do during the year she had to wait before reapplying? Did she do any animal related voluntary work? Sorry that this is off subject!
With apologies to Zorro...! :)

She spent six weeks working on a rescue programme at a penguin sanctuary in South Africa, did more lambing work experience, took some riding lessons (no background in horses whatsoever!), passed her driving test, and the rest of the time trained as a lifeguard and took a full-time job at the local leisure centre! Pay not great as min. wage for under-21s, but job was good for developing people skills (especially tolerance!) and building up a small nest egg to make the first year at uni more bearable financially. Especially as working in vacations is virtually impossible once you start the course due to all the extra placements you have to do. Don't know if this is the same for medicine. Happy to provide more info, just PM me. :)
Marylou
zorro

Post by zorro »

No problem!
Had an email from DS's Physics teacher today, saying he advises his students to do Maths as well but that it can and has been done without Maths. He said that ultimately it's the highest grades that count so he should do what he enjoys and is best at to achieve this.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

We asked ds's physics teacher about this last week. He said he would strongly advise students taking physics to take AS maths as a minimum but that any more maths needed could be taught as part of physics A2.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now