Predicted A level grades

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Naulakha

Predicted A level grades

Post by Naulakha »

DC1 is completing his UCAS form at the moment.
He has just confessed to worrying about this: last term the teacher who had taught DC for 3 years left the school. This teacher thought highly of DC and had already said he would predict an A* for this science subject (as DC achieved 93 UMS at AS level and came in the top few % in a national challenge aimed at brighter A level students).

The new teacher who has taught DS for just over a week has indicated he will only predict an A.
This will almost certainly be bad news for DC's UCAS application as he is applying for very competitive Unis and this subject is the only mandatory one. His other subjects are not as crucial but he performed even better in these at AS than his main subject (due to a slip up on a big question) so should have high predictions.

His school is never open about their policies, their main one being to avoid parents' interference at all costs I think :lol:

What is the usual policy at most schools on A level predictions?
What can I do without seeming like a helicopter parent? DC does not like pushing himself forward and would find it quite hard to challenge his teacher. Any ideas?
mystery

Re: Predicted A level grades

Post by mystery »

Double check with teacher this is the case and ask the reason, voice your concerns. F still concerned try head of sixth form and head of school. Check it would be. Justifiable to predict a star.Check also that it would matter at desired unis be fore worrying.
Amber

Post by Amber »

What is the usual policy at most schools on A level predictions?
We received DD's predictions this week. She was told that anything over a total of 270UMS/300 on the AS modules would be likely to get an A* prediction, with the proviso that if this all came from one module and another was much poorer, it might become an A. The letter we received said that A* will require an 80% average overall with 90% average in the A2 modules (note- percentage not UMS). The letter also drew attention to the increased demands of A2 modules over AS and the 'professional judgement' of the staff.

As far as I know only Oxford and Cambridge actually ask for A* anyway, but if you are unhappy I guess you could get your son to query it. I imagine at this age the school would not especially welcome an enquiry from a parent and if your son is anything like my daughter, he would want to do it himself anyway.
moved

Post by moved »

Amber wrote:The letter we received said that A* will require an 80% average overall with 90% average in the A2 modules.
I've just shown this to DS, who believed that as he got 85% in his AS it would be impossible to get an A* at A2. Thank you.
Amber wrote:As far as I know only Oxford and Cambridge actually ask for A* anyway.
Sadly, Imperial and UCL are asking for A*A*A for some courses with the A*s in named subjects! It gets worse each year.
Amber

Post by Amber »

moved wrote:]I've just shown this to DS, who believed that as he got 85% in his AS it would be impossible to get an A* at A2. Thank you.
Amber wrote:As far as I know only Oxford and Cambridge actually ask for A* anyway.
Sadly, Imperial and UCL are asking for A*A*A for some courses with the A*s in named subjects! It gets worse each year.
Just re-read the letter and that is definitely what it says, moved. Though I guess it means trying to get almost 100% in the A2 modules?
Wrt Imperial etc - another good reason not to go to London then. :)
Sallyltb

Post by Sallyltb »

That's not quite how is works. You need to get an A overall (80% UNS), but 90% across A2 modules. From the Edexcel web site:

To score an A* at A level you must:
Get an A grade for your overall A level
Produce a high level performance at A2 - scoring at least 90% of the A2 UMS marks

To get an A* in A level Mathematics you must:
Score at least 480 UMS marks for your overall A level grade
Score at least 180 UMS marks in Core 3 and Core 4.

For other six-unit A levels you must:
Score at least 480 UMS marks for your overall A level grade
Score at least 270 UMS marks at A2.

For four-unit A levels you must:
Score at least 320 UMS marks for your overall A level grade
Score at least 180 UMS marks at A2.

So if you scored an A this year, it's all to play for net year. However as A2 modules are considered harder than AS, most schools will only predict A* if there is at least 90% overall at AS level.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Isn't that the same thing?
Amber wrote: The letter we received said that A* will require an 80% average overall with 90% average in the A2 modules (note- percentage not UMS).
vs
Sallytb wrote:That's not quite how is works. You need to get an A overall (80% UNS), but 90% across A2 modules.
SteveDH

Post by SteveDH »

that's interesting as I thought you had to get 90% average overall.

At My DS's school its sort of up to the heads of each department.
Generally its reasonably strictly cut off of 90% (270/300) at AS to predict an A*, i.e. 269 and they predict an A
but this year they lowered it for Chemistry to 265/300 as for some reason everyone did worse then expected.
Steve
Sallyltb

Post by Sallyltb »

That's interesting what you say about Chemistry. DD still got over 90% buy was disappointed with her mark in what is her best subject.
jemima

Post by jemima »

Warwick 'Law' also A* AA this year.
90% at A2 is my understanding for A2.
Overall you can get greater marks for A level but not get A*, whereas fewer marks overall but over 90% at A2 can achieve A*
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now