AS - to resit, or not to resit?

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Waddle

AS - to resit, or not to resit?

Post by Waddle »

My eldest son has managed to get an E (comfortably) for Biology in his AS (at one point he was getting Us, so in many ways this was better than expected!).

He is staying on for A2 in this plus two other subjects, for which his grades were C. My question is, should he resit the Bio (and possibly risk dropping to a U) or go full out and aim for higher in the A2? I imagine someone with inside knowledge of the workload involved could best advise. He has a meeting with his dep head of sixth form early in Sept to discuss his options.
superstar

Post by superstar »

your highest grade will always apply so if he resits and gets a u the e will stand.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Needs to talk to school - could resit worst module(s) and keep better results - add up the UMS and 'play' with the numbers - how much would he have to improve? Is this likely? What grades does he need for post school option?
Waddle

Post by Waddle »

Hi Guest 55,

he needs at least a D for post school option, presuming he maintains/improves existing grades in other subjects - therefore really needs to aim for a C as an insurance policy. I reckon a 'strategic resit' needs discussion with his school - exam board is OCR and paperwork doesn't state marks needed for a D. He got 38/90 for one module; 47/120 for the other, with the latter marked as a U, so presumably if he resits just one, it needs to be the worst - though the other module is the 'easier' one. As you say, needs to talk to his school, but it looks to me as though a resit is definitely worth considering.