Straw-poll - Enrichment, PE and 'going home' in 6th form

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
solimum

Re: Straw-poll - Enrichment, PE and 'going home' in 6th form

Post by solimum »

A mixture of experiences to relate!

DS1, 6th form college. (local, needed bus ride/lift) Only needed to attend for actual timetabled lessons (though these were strictly monitored) and regular meetings with tutors etc. Enrichment - plenty on offer on Weds afternoons but as he was involved in the Yr12 Engineering Education scheme regularly offsite on Tuesday mornings he didn't need to do the enrichment as well (some football may have happened in Yr13).
Fridays in Yr13 he had no timetabled lessons so "private study" (aka long lie in) prevailed.
Did learn to drive -instructor happy to pick up outside SFC or at home and do one-way lesson

DS2 - 6th form at KE grammar (30 mins car ride, 1hr bus/train). Had to go in every morning but allowed to leave early if free period last thing (after initial settling in) At one stage he left after 5pm on Mons (orchestra), about 4 on Tues, 3ish on Weds, 2 on Thurs and 1 on Friday!. Sports afternoon on Weds - lots of options, including at local sports centre.
Gen Studies compulsory but only one period pw - revised some German, read/analysed newspaper articles etc.
Not much time for other activity esp in Yr 12 as he was doing 5 other AS levels (2 maths, chem, phys & music) and lots of musical ensembles (choir, band etc). Also learned to drive - lesson pickups from school, practice with mother on the way, occasionally allowed to borrow in Yr 13

DD - stayed at (newish) 6th form at local comp (5 min car, 40 min walk). Supposed to be in every morning at 8:40am but allowed to leave early if free- though annoyingly many lessons timetabled as "twilight" (ie 3:30, not with vampire teachers...). DD protested especially when no lessons on Monday mornings! - also got into trouble for booking driving lessons during long free periods (also learned to drive in time to "borrow" mum's car frequently in Yr 13..). They eased off a bit (or gave up arguing!) in Yr13. Have no memory of any timetabled "enrichment" though I think there were some interesting sports options, choirs etc, helping with clubs lower down the school..

Actually I think learning to drive is one of the most extra-curricular useful skills they can acquire during 6th form, as it is so much more difficult to arrange once they are at uni, and there is so much scope for regular practice if a parental car can be insured. Certainly also the Eng Ed Scheme was vital for DS1 in getting his Uni place.
KB

Post by KB »

Would be great idea if they could do driving lessons/theory practice in free lessons.
Ours aren't even allowed time out to take theory test which given its a 40 min trip to the nearest test centre is a complete pain!
SteveDH

Post by SteveDH »

My DD's Girls GS
In the 6th form
Have to be in by 8:30 every day even if you have no lessons.
Can leave as soon as Lessons are over. (has a friend with no lessons on one day but still has to come to school for registration).
No PE
DS belongs to a number of Orchestra's with a mixture of lunchtime and after school rehearsals, Tonight is her last concert ever at her school..
Lower 6th had enrichment stuff on Friday afternoons... none really in upper 6th

one strange thing is, most universities etc seem to assume that Wednesday afternoons are for enrichment activities (virtually all their open days were Wednesdays, as were visit days of her arkwright sponsor) and although they were for my school many years ago, her Wednesdays have always been her busiest day.
dyslexichelpneeded

Post by dyslexichelpneeded »

Oh, so that's why it's always Wednesdays! But even if Wednesday afternoon is enrichment/PE, you're still going to miss Wednesday morning - which means you miss the same lessons for every open day.
KB

Post by KB »

Wednesday afternoons were traditionally sports afternoons at Uni so there were no compulsory contact periods.
I imagine this is why Open Days are on Wednesday rather than being to do with school timetabling.
SteveDH

Post by SteveDH »

However when my DD's sponser was trying to arrange visits, they assumed Wednesdays were the best day and we seemed to be the only one preferring another day. Maybe it just used to be like that.. but my old school many years ago Wednesday afternoons in the 6th form were sports/ activates.
SteveDH

Post by SteveDH »

ok do a google search for

sixth form enrichment afternoon

and a majority of the schools have Wednesday afternoon enrichment... although the odd Friday thrown in..
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

DS starts at a boys indi, with mixed sixth form in September. Years 12 and 13 have compulsory sports ( choice from a number of things, although I don't think he will go for the netball option!) on Wednesday pm. Year 12 have compulsory volunteering on a Thursday pm and Year 13 have compulsory Liberal studies (speakers, courses in loads of stuff e.g. salsa dancing!). They are allowed out at lunch time and from what I can remember can go home if their lessons have finished, but if they drive out at lunch time they are not allowed back in (ok if they walk!)
secondtime

Post by secondtime »

DS1 often comes home on Wed afternoon - sometimes has driving lesson.

He stayed yesterday for Games - turned out to be Monopoly :roll:
solimum

Post by solimum »

"compulsory volunteering" :lol: