Parents allowed at prizegiving / leavers' evening?

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

pheasantchick

Re: Parents allowed at prizegiving / leavers' evening?

Post by pheasantchick »

Southbucks - is your husband Charles Ingram, the coughing major from who wants to be a Millionaire?

I know I always find such presentation evenings a little boring.

Many moons ago, I went to my brothers graduation. There were only enough tickets for my parents. However, my brother tipped me off that the fire doors would be open. So my sister and I watched my brother graduate from the fire doors, and then went and enjoyed the sunshine. We saw the essential bit, but missed the boring bits.

I think the most fascinating part of the op whole procedure was that it was held in The Crucible, where the snooker is held,
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

Guest55 wrote:DS's didn't have speeches - just a really relaxed evening when the certificates were given out. It just felt that his time at the school was 'completed' and it was good for him to catch up with friends after a term at uni.

It depends on what the purpose of the evening is and how formal.
That is exactly what DC primary did and all the children were given a copy. My DS sang a solo in Y6 (he can't sing!) It was DD favourite Christmas video, who was 4 at the time and it was played non-stop for months. Strangely, now we are heading towards significant birthdays, it is missing.

Also re sports day - no parents might be a jolly good thing. At various sports days I have attended (as teacher / parent): fighting parents; over competitive parents - yelling and shouting (at egg & spoon); poor fathers not knowing what to do / where to look, when well developed Y6s in inappropriately skimpy PE kit are competing; parents refusing to comply with the no smoking policy; me trying and failing not to sob when disabled DC is made to do races she couldn't do and finish last by a mile to sympathetic applause from other parents.
KB

Post by KB »

At our state GS speech day is the final afternoon of term. Only prize winners and parents get to go due to space so 'winning' anything is something of a mixed blessing as it requires sitting through an afternoon of speeches and handshaking while all the other pupils go home at lunch time :)
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

KB wrote:At our state GS speech day is the final afternoon of term. Only prize winners and parents get to go due to space so 'winning' anything is something of a mixed blessing as it requires sitting through an afternoon of speeches and handshaking while all the other pupils go home at lunch time :)

That would be enough in itself for my boys to try their worst! :twisted: what a rotten system, do they at least get a slice of cake?
Also the only element of fun I ever get from these things is when a son wins something and alpha parents son does not. It happened at the rugby awards a few years back and it was most satisfying, especially as during the reception drinks the alphas had been telling us how as well as coaching since the age of 5, they regularly took their boy to twickers to get a feel for how pro's play, and everybody in the stands loved him so much now. :lol: We made it obvious we never watched or participated in sport, the first time son had played rugby was at school. Hence they squirmed in their seats in a most satisfying way once the awards were read out. Double joy: 1.son happy 2.alpha parents sulking.
Last edited by southbucks3 on Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Vow, SB3. How diplomatically you have excluded yourself from the list of 'alpha-parents'!! :wink:
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Oh, it's nice of you to consider me worthy Tiffin, but on the alpha parent tick list, I qualify for about 30/100 requirements and my sons will never be in the trendy and high achieving gangs...thank goodness!

Right, I am just off to the cabinet makers to collect the custom made trophy case I designed for the boys play room; the cups, trophies and medals were gathering dust in their rooms. I do think it is good to display their achievements don't you, as a source of inspiration to their lesser able friends that nay drop in to watch sky sports plus plus plus with extra gold plus and eat a hone made snack. :wink:
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

That's great SB3. :wink:
Amber

Post by Amber »

You could do as someone I know has done and start a 'Mummy blog'. It is a great way to share the daily achievements of your children with a wider audience of the jealous, the awestruck and the plain inferior. Plenty of scope to expand on all those sporting and musical glories, G&T moments and times tables test triumphs, as well as reminding the reader of your children's general gorgeousness and the spectacular quality of your perfect family life. I expect there is even an app available which would automatically turn the highlights into quarterly 'round robin' letters for family and friends (why make them wait till Christmas?). What are you waiting for?
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Amber, I would fear being sued by that famous blue and white social networking site for plagiarism, which does in fact have a facility to make a montage of your year to share with friends around Christmas time.

E.g..

Beware, mummy brag alert: Colin won the gold in the egg and spoon race, so very proud of his moment. I would like to thank my fabulous friend Eric (read, bit on the side) for practising with him daily and my sons amazing barber, Michelangelo @ http:/.mikes.co.uk, for ensuring his golden locks looked suitably swishy as he ran first over the finish line.
Last edited by southbucks3 on Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I'm definitely not alpha mummy enough...my first thought on reading Amber's post above was..."ooh...is it too early to reach for the Bombay Sapphire?" :?

Suitably swishy made me laugh...on said social networking site there was a very funny picture of a child with the caption "there is always that one child who in PE thinks it's the Olympics..." (I mentally added...there is always that mother that lets them....!!)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now