Parents allowed at prizegiving / leavers' evening?

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ToadMum

Re: Parents allowed at prizegiving / leavers' evening?

Post by ToadMum »

kenyancowgirl wrote:In a related but separate thing, my son is at a county school athletics comp today, which is held at a club that shares facilities with a local high school. The SLT of the high school announced the other day that due to their safeguarding policy, no spectators were allowed on site. So nobody is there all day to cheer the kids on, congratulate them when they do well, commiserate if it doesn't go so well. Hidden sports...and yet we also have an obesity problem! The world has gone mad!!
5 years back, primary school's KS1 was sports day cancelled with less than an hour's notice - quite a few of us were whiling away the time between drop-off and event in the local 'greasy spoon' when the message was sent out. Some parents went off to work a few hours earlier than expected that day, including the non-resident dad who had made a special trip to be there for his two in Reception and year 2. The reason given was that there had been a bit of drizzle and it wouldn't be safe to use the field :roll:

At picking-up time, DS2's class teacher casually mentioned that they had had the sports after all - about half an hour after the original start time. It had been ever so nice and quiet, she said, without anyone there.

DS2 being our third child, we'd already been to half a dozen or so sports days at the school, and pretty uninspiring they were / are too, but a tear did spring to my eye for all the parents whose eldest or only DC was in Reception and who had been looking forward to their very first one...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Amber wrote:I am not aware of any such event at DD's (now former!) state grammar school; but if there were I am pretty sure she would not want us there. Which would suit me fine personally as I find such things cringe-making and uncomfortable. I would only go if she specifically asked me, which I consider unlikely :wink:.

We do have a kind of family joke though about making spontaneous speeches at these events ('I always knew my son was special, from the moment he was born, and this marvellous school has helped him to become the wonderful young man we all know he is today'), as once I was at an infants' class assembly when a mother got up and made a lengthy, tearful speech about what a fabulous time her very talented daughter had had in year 2. It was one of the most embarrassing things I have ever witnessed.
Well, I was very proud ok?? :evil:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: priceless!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

DS's didn't have speeches - just a really relaxed evening when the certificates were given out. It just felt that his time at the school was 'completed' and it was good for him to catch up with friends after a term at uni.

It depends on what the purpose of the evening is and how formal.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Yamin151 wrote:Well, I was very proud ok?? :evil: !
Fair enough Yamin, but that bubble gum pink coat really didn't go with the bloodshot eyes and streaming nose once you got to the bit about 'and our lives will never be the same again now she's going up to the juniors'.

I perhaps ought to confess that when my daughter was awarded some kind of trophies at the end of year 11, I did actually get as far as attending the prize giving and hearing several unmemorable speeches by governors, heads, prefects etc. I did not, however, manage to witness the handover of gongs to girl as I had to go and collect DS2 from primary school. Apparently it is all over in a flash anyway, and if I had wanted to I could have asked for the video from several parents more devoted than I who had filmed the entire thing.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Honest question here, that I feel i can ask cyber friends but not school parents:

What do you do with the endless recordings of school.plays, school functions, sports events, dance and music recitals etc. I kind of understand if the other half cannot attend and wants to see, but surely watching these events once is enough for anyone? Please do tell.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I've not recorded any and actually I don't think people should be allowed to as it often interfers with the event.

If the school produces an official one it would be better quality and so so intrusive for the audience.
Amber

Post by Amber »

southbucks3 wrote:Honest question here, that I feel i can ask cyber friends but not school parents:

What do you do with the endless recordings of school.plays, school functions, sports events, dance and music recitals etc. I kind of understand if the other half cannot attend and wants to see, but surely watching these events once is enough for anyone? Please do tell.
I don't think it will shock you to know that I have never attempted to record one. I have taken the odd photo at a nativity and that is about it. I don't especially want a photo of one of my children uncomfortably shaking hands with the headmaster as he hands over a certificate and if I took a photo at such an event it would be more likely a 'behind the scenes one' which told me something about my child. It's certainly the last thing others would want to see, surely;- ' and this is Cressida again, receiving her 'third best phonics student in 4X' certificate...'
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I once recorded bits of school play for a friend who couldn't attend. I'm not sure she ever watched it, and I know I didn't. Maybe you would like to view it, Amber? I'm sure it can be arranged. I agree with G55, I wish they would ban such things, the last thing I want at a school performance or anything else is the person in front of me holding up a brightly lit iPhone screen between me & my loved one.
scary mum
Amber

Post by Amber »

scary mum wrote:I once recorded bits of school play for a friend who couldn't attend. I'm not sure she ever watched it, and I know I didn't. Maybe you would like to view it, Amber? I'm sure it can be arranged.
Are you by any chance free this evening scary? :wink:
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

I have to physically stop dh from doing the cough-ollox-cough trick when people do that stick a video thing in front of your viewing space trick. He is very naughty!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now