Online A level resources

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sbarnes

Re: Online A level resources

Post by sbarnes »

I am not sure why you are so negative all the time.

I am a parent and therefore know best for my children.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You are not in a position to judge the effectiveness of a website for A level unless you understand the demands of the specification and the mark scheme.

I'm not sure why you think I would give poor advice - if you want to ignore it then that is your choice.

I am a parent as well as a teacher by the way.
KenR

Post by KenR »

The usefulness or not of the Khan Academy website is well described in the following article:

http://chronicle.com/blognetwork/castin ... n-academy/

I quite liked the following:-
But let’s also be honest about what Khan Academy is not. Khan Academy is not a substitute for an actual course of study in mathematics. It is not a substitute for a live teacher. And it is not a coherent curriculum of study that engages students at all the cognitive levels at which they need to be engaged. It’s OK that it’s not these things. We don’t walk into a Mexican restaurant and fault it for not serving spaghetti. I don’t fault Khan Academy for not being a complete educational resource, because it wasn’t designed for that purpose. Again, Khan Academy is a great resource for the niche in which it was designed to work. But when you try to extend it out of that niche — as Bill Gates and others would very much like to do — all kinds of things go wrong.
In biology, for example, I dislike the fact that it includes intelligent design in the material content and in doing so gives this topic unwarranted implicit credibility. Presumably this was included to appease the US Christian Fundamentalist movement.

I actually think this is OK as a supplemental resource (for subjects other than maths) in helping students bridge the gap to 1st year university and do their own self study outside of the tightly controlled A level curriculum.
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

Cheers KenR

I love khan academy and there are scores of parents that swear by it. Teaching in some of the state schools in Brum and London is of poor standard and web sites such as khan academy is a god send.

There is one for maths I have recently used for KS3 level; don't have it to hand at present as am on Hols; will upload soon
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

There is a web based company called Oxbridge Notes which sells previous students notes - obviously not essays because of plagiarism - and gives details of their results obtained using those notes. Miss Magwich has made a useful sum from her university notes but it does have A level as well.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

sbarnes - this thread is for A level revision websites ....
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Yes, let's stay on topic, please. I really welcome an A level resource thread and I don't want it derailed into something else.

sbarnes, perhaps you could start a different thread if you want to offer advice re. KS3… Thanks
KB

Post by KB »

Do check with your department as well- many will recommend/ subscribe to sites suited to the correct syllabus.

If exam technique is the issue then I agree that past papers, mark schemes and examiners comments ( free on exam board sites) are probably most help. In any case always go back and check the details for your precise course because what is required ( even in science) can vary.

Issue with using pre-prepared notes is the danger of not having the joined up thinking behind them. Maybe this matters less at A level than Uni but I would suggest only using to check ones own or where areas have been unavoidably missed ( illness etc).
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Snowdrops wrote:English, french, history and rs sites would be good - anyone?

Also looking for help with English and history plus Geography. :)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Literature or Language? You might find some stuff if you search on the book beng studied?

History probably depends on the period/exam board - I googled 'History A level revision' and got some websites which looked good but I'm not an expert.

Geography - https://geographyas.info/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.coolgeography.co.uk/A-level/ ... 0level.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm not an expert though and you need to check the syllabus ... I found these using google.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now