Silver Award Duke of Edinburgh - am i too pushy?

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tense

Re: Silver Award Duke of Edinburgh - am i too pushy?

Post by tense »

Oh dear Minesh I feel your pain!

Presumably your DS is in Yr 12? And your oldest? I'm afraid it's time to take a deep breath, stand back & let him make his own choices. I would probably feel compelled to step in (ie, nag!) if I thought either of my DC were really slacking on their studies, but I have to agree with KB that you should choose your battles & try not to get stressed about 'extras'.

My DD is in Yr 13 - it really is true that a PS doesn't need loads of random 'stuff'.
marigold

Post by marigold »

I totally agree with tense. My daughter sent her UCAS off a few weeks ago and did not let me read her personal statement until after she had pressed the button.

It contained not one single mention of an extra- curricular activity. It was 4000 characters on the passion for her subject. All the hours I have spent fretting that she has never played an instrument, been captain of hockey or hiked across Patagonia were hours totally wasted.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

marigold - I'm surprised the school did not veto this.

The recommendations are that skills developed from extra-curricular activities (not the activities themselves) should be included as a minor part of the personal statement.
marigold

Post by marigold »

I think the point I am making is that from about year 9 people ( mainly neighbours and friends ) have been going on and on about how school children should be doing this that and the other " to go on their personal statements" and when it came to the crunch it was suggested that she would be wasting valuable space which should be spent on her academic interests if she wrote about any of the other wonderful stuff she has been doing. Three teachers went over the statement with her. Without being flippant or disrespecting my daughter in any way, whilst I am sure she would be able to cobble together a sentence on any skills developed from these activities, it would all have been a bit false.
Doesn't seem to have caused a problem, offers are coming in .

PS We had a few admissions tutors coming to speak to the school about this very subject and from what I can gather Durham is very keen on the extra curricular so ignore everything I have written if your DC wants to apply there. She has it as one of her choices !
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

DofE are great BUT only if your DC really enjoys the outdoors, hiking and camping, otherwise the expeditions can be a real struggle. Bronze is not too bad as only one night and are allowed to use campsites with full facilities, but once you get to silver and gold which involve "wild" campsites you do need to like that sort of thing, or at least really want to do it. I have one DC just finishing bronze and another off on his silver qualifying expedition next weekend but they have both been in guides/scouts since they were 6 and jump at any opportunity to go camping or hiking. The other clauses are not too bad, most can usually find something to fit their interests, but there is no avoiding the expedition!
So if he wants to do it great, but don't force him if its not his thing.