A level choices and Medicine

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sbarnes

Re: A level choices and Medicine

Post by sbarnes »

As a back up plan, there is Bulgaria and Romania; no entrance grades just hard cash. No qualifying exams either back in blightiee
um

Post by um »

Thanks for all the advice...quite a bit of reading up to do :D

Yes, quite a few unis say they don't accept Further Maths yet ds1 wants to do it at AS level at least and feels it would be fine and is convinced it will help strengthen his application?

Also on my original question re: History and German - he is at KE VI Camp Hill. The history A level syllabus looks fascinating. A bit of the middle ages combined with Russia in the 20th Century and US 20th century foreign policy (that is a horribly short synposis btw). He's really interested in this. However he also genuinely loves German and it is one of his strongest subjects - he likes to talk to me in German (but is far more fluent) and we have even heard him speaking German in his sleep. So it is tricky.
I think doing both would be a bad idea as it could 'dilute' his grades and he also needs time for work experience/voluntary work.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

He hopefully has a long life ahead of him, he can study history and German either as A levels or purely for pleasure any time after he has finished his degree, those courses are not just for bored yummy mummies. My brother in law is a quantity surveyor with a degree in American history, my friend recently sat French o level. Nothing in the mean time is stopping him reading a history magazine, or watching one of the many fabulous programmes being produced at the moment, or visiting the cinema for live lectures broadcast from the British museum.
Talking of which...off topic....the Byron/Shelley programme the other night was brilliant, simplistic, but very interesting none the less.

Good luck teen um for the future.