moved

Re: Personal Statement and DC attributes

Post by moved »

Evidence of interest in subject matter:
Participation in university yr12 courses
Work experience in the field
Attendance at outside lectures
Membership of clubs if they exist

Anything else come to mind that DC may not be aware of or do but haven't thought to include.
KB

Post by KB »

I promise you that all they are interested in why do you want to do it and why would you be any good at it - with evidence.
This should focus primarily on the subject (moved just gave a great list of examples).
In some cases eg medicine there is greater emphasis on extra curricular & work experience but to the same point, of demonstrating an undetstanding of what is involved, a committed attitude and evidence of some of the necessary skills.
University academics want people who will do well on the course, they really don't care what you do in your spare time.
The only reason for mentioning non-related extra curricular is to show you have coped with other things as well as A levels.
If you have extra curricular that you think are relevant but not obviously related make sure you spell it out and this includes medics etc. " I made tea in the hospital canteen" and from this experience ........
Y

Post by Y »

Having listened to the talks at a fair few Russell Group universities, only Durham was interested in extra-curricular activities for their own sake. The others were interested in them in so far as they helped the student explain how they would thrive on the course.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

You are all lovely for being so helpful to your DCs. I do worry thought for those who quite correctly are left to do it by themselves. I certainly was. I Daren ay I shall be involved myself but it saddens me that it is not our children researching all of this themselves. Where is the line between interested feedback and virtually constructing it for them?

Like I say, I think I will find it nigh on impossible not to be involved myself, esp as this seems the norm though, but do feel as a society we are depriving our children of skills they could learn at this stage and utilising the independence of thought and action that I'd hoped they'd gained by sixth form. Sigh. Where is my helicopter?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Yamin151 wrote:You are all lovely for being so helpful to your DCs. I do worry thought for those who quite correctly are left to do it by themselves. I certainly was. I Daren ay I shall be involved myself but it saddens me that it is not our children researching all of this themselves. Where is the line between interested feedback and virtually constructing it for them?

Like I say, I think I will find it nigh on impossible not to be involved myself, esp as this seems the norm though, but do feel as a society we are depriving our children of skills they could learn at this stage and utilising the independence of thought and action that I'd hoped they'd gained by sixth form. Sigh. Where is my helicopter?
In September, DS1 started at one of the five universities (i.e. all) that offered him a place and one of the two which offered him 'unconditional if firmed'. (Birmingham and UEA; he chose the former because they offered an integrated Masters). Until five minutes ago, I was under the vague impression that he had at least shown his PS to DH at some point in the proceedings. Not sure whether the belief was reciprocal, but it would also have been misplaced :lol: . I do know that the school were very supportive, but essentially, it must have been DS1's own efforts (PS-wise and in showing that he was worthy of his predicted grades) that got him where he wanted to be.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Well, that's a relief to hear, tbh. Maybe I can slow down the rota blades...... :D
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Dd's just about to submit hers. We've not seen it or had any input into it at all.
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

DS is just booking into a visit day at one of his uni choices and there is the option for parents to attend. We both agreed that I shouldn't go, but he then commented how helpful he had found it for me to do the initial rounds with him, as it was good to discuss each place with someone who had been there, and he valued my opinion. He asked me to read his personal statement, but that was partly because the two teachers he asked gave him contradictory advice and he wanted a third opinion, and he asked me to read through his application form just in case he had make a mistake.

Personally I wouldn't buy a house, or a new car, or make career decisions without at least some discussion with my nearest and dearest, be they friends or family. But then I would make my own final decision. That's the approach I have tried to take with my son - supporting him to make his own decisions, helping when asked without taking over, gradually encouraging him to sort out his own life with the support of those around him. I don't think it is healthy for anyone to try and 'go it alone' about any aspect of life. So that is a lesson I want him to learn. We all need others to help us along. I also think our children need guidance about how to do some of this grown-up stuff, rather than just being dropped into a situation and being expected to know how to cope. I prefer to provide support as needed and then gradually take it away (I think it's called 'scaffolding') - and different DCs will need different amounts of scaffolding at different times and about different things. And different schools provide differing amounts of support too, so the DCs of some parents who are very 'hands-off' may be receiving far more support than it first appears.

But I agree it is not healthy when parents are making all the decision and doing all the work. I have heard discussions amongst young people about how they have to apply to certain courses because that's what their parents have told them, despite it not being what they want to do. I think that is really sad.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

They're hardly going it alone, or being dropped into it. These young adults have plenty of people around them to advise them who actually know what they're talking about. As for two differing opinions, well that's just what they were - a bit like reading a book and one person liking the writing style/story and another not.

As we have just returned from holiday and our 18 year old daughter had to make the terrible decision, on her own, to put to sleep our dearest 14 year old dog, I think she can be trusted to decide who's best to consult with regards to a uni application.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

My humble opinion on this is that nobody should be vilified for supporting their child in what is probably their biggest decision in their life to date - and, fundamentally, one of the most expensive decisions in their life to date, as well. Fine if you are happy that your child can make the decisions without your support or help - but if you feel they need assistance or a guiding hand or a soundboard that is equally OK and understandable. Taking an interest in what your child is doing is surely important though - it shows them that they are valued and the decisions they are making are important? Taking over is another thing altogether!

I come from a professional background of having had to speak to numerous university admissions staff - faced with a son who wasn't sure whether not doing Bronze DoE due to serious ill health was going to detrimentally count against him, a couple of phone calls from me whilst he was at school, clarified that, for the courses he is considering, effectively don't give a stuff about it and the reassurance that gave him at a stressful time is what I would consider "good parenting"...but just my opinion obviously!