A level choices

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
copella

A level choices

Post by copella »

DS did very well in geography today and is now wondering whether to take it for A level. He is definitely doing maths, physics and history but was going to do economics which is a new subject for him. He isn't enrolling until next week and so has some time to think. The sixth form he wants to go to does the edexcel syllabus and we have had a look at it and he is interested. I wanted to ask if anyone out there had any views on geography if their DC took it to help him make the decision. He does like the subject and my thought is go with what you like and do well in. Any thoughts? Thanks
hermanmunster

Re: A level choices

Post by hermanmunster »

I think geography goes well with his other choices and seems to be popular at A level n both schools I know . DD is pleased with her AS grade and is carrying to A2 (along with history).

Sometimes think it is tricky starting a new subject at A level eg economics , but quite a few people enjoy it.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I usually recommend that people don't change their minds if a result is better than expected.

Get him to read the specification and look at an exam paper; Geography can have a different emphasis at A level.

It might be wise to check there is space in the group.
KB

Post by KB »

Same advice - what has actually changed to make him want to do geography now when he didn't choose it before?
Presumably choices were made based on future plans, interests, enjoyment of subject at GCSE, discussion with teachers.....
None of that has changed- he 'just' ( & well done!) got a high mark ( presumably better than expected?) In a couple of exams.

If he is good at maths and history then those skills will be transferable to economics.

Unless there are other reasons for a change of heart then I wouldn't advise it just on an unexpectedly high mark ( but great to have done that!)
copella

Post by copella »

I think he always thought that he had to chose between history and Geog for some reason. He called the school today and will speak to the teachers again before making a final decision. Over the weekend we will both take a look at the economics and Geog spec. He still isn't sure what to do re life employment, uni etc. your advice has been helpful as I don't want him to make a quick decision and it is convenient that he doesn't have to enrol till next week as it gives him time to think. Thank you.
KB

Post by KB »

Other thing to do is to check entry requirements for various uni courses that seem interesting to him and see if any specify geography and/or economics.
Y

Post by Y »

You are fortunate to have time to make the decision. My son had 24 hours! Following an unexpected set of results, my DS has completely changed his ideas over what to study at university, moving from humanities/arts to sciences. This has necessitated changing two of his AS choices. Personally, I feel this has been a blessing in disguise for him, as I was never sure that his original choice was quite right for him. Every cloud, and all that - just occasionally, the results can make you rethink in a positive way.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Some changed their minds on day one of year 12 at DS's school !

There has been more decision making for some kids I know after AS results - the subject that they really hated and were going to be their highest grade....
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

They are fortunate to be able to change their minds. DS tried to change his fourth AS on results day, not because of his results just a change of heart, but has been unable to do so as the class he wants is full. :( We now have to choose between the grammar sixth form he really wants to go to but cant offer the subject and a local school he is not keen on, that can.
penguin

Post by penguin »

Hi
I'd advise sticking with economics.
Speaking from prehistoric personal experience. I took maths, physics and economics at A- level and with hindsight the economics made it easier for me to understand/ access the economic current affairs and news items of the day.
It is a very interesting subject in itself but the way it helped directly was at interviews for uni/graduate training where you are also able to field questions about topics in the news and your views on them etc.
I went on to study engineering. Other friends did economics and finance and sociology

What I did find tough at first was to get used to the required style of essay writing.

I don't want to disrespect the geography vote so will say nothing about it.