History, Physics or Theatre Studies as final A Level?

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

KS10

History, Physics or Theatre Studies as final A Level?

Post by KS10 »

DS would love some advice about A Level choices. He wants to study Maths at university, although I'm not sure what type.

He has chosen Maths, Further Maths and French, but is unsure about his final choice. Apparently, someone from Cambridge University told Year 11 that if you want to do Maths at university, a combination of 3 maths/science subjects is what many unis would want to see. Is this true? He isn't necessarily thinking Oxbridge; he just doesn't want to go with enjoyment (Theatre Studies or History) and find out later that he should have done Physics (sensible option).
Guest55

Re: History, Physics or Theatre Studies as final A Level?

Post by Guest55 »

Yes - he should take Physics as he's already doing French as his broadening option.

Physics is very useful in mechanics options for example, quantum mechanics and fluid dynamics, which can be part of a maths degree.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

I would also be very interested in the answer to this question. My DS wants to do maths A level and is leaning towards a maths degree as he finds it so fascinating. He doesn't want to do any science subjects at all, and his other possible choices are not too far removed from those of your son, KS10 - except definitely, definitely not Physics!
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Cross-posted G55. Oh dear, physics.

For my DS it would be maths and further maths I think - plus maybe economics, maybe eng lit, maybe a MFL or Latin. Is that too eclectic a mix? He's really not a scientist!
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I'd go with physics too put of the list you have given. Might be worth looking at what various courses are looking for.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Thanks for such a prompt reply, G55. I had been hoping for a different answer as he's not mad about science but I think I'm more disappointed than he is. He's happy enough to do Physics.

Peridot, not the answer you were hoping for either. Perhaps others will be along with suggestions for your DS.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Some schools are changing to three A levels next year because of the A level reforms so do check ...

Economics might be ok there is no point in doing an A level you don't want to take!

Do look carefully at maths degrees as they are very diverse in content and nothing like GCSE at all ...
KB

Post by KB »

If DS loves maths but isn't into science at all then maybe look at an Economics or Accounting degree.
Pure maths with no interest in science isn't necessarily a wise plan.

There isn't really a short cut to doing research.
If DCs think they want to do a maths degree then as G55 says they need to look at what it covers at degree level and what the different options are.
Having found half a dozen of interest then look at preferred entry requirements - not just minimum requirements.
Also look at other degree options related to/ using maths as these may be more applicable. Often in year 11 they just pick a subject they have done at GSCE rather than think about what is on offer.

It will be much more important to think about uni entry when making A level options if schools cut back to only 3 subjects. Maintaining bredth is going to be virtually impossible.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

I chose my A Level subjects without giving a thought to what I was going to do later. I suppose those days are long gone. It seems so early to be looking at university courses but once he's got his mocks out of the way I'll tell him to start researching different courses.
KB

Post by KB »

I think it depends on your approach to life....

If you are happy with choosing whichever A levels you fancy and then choosing a degree from whichever courses you can get into with those A levels then there is nothing wrong with that. It is just important to be aware that University choices will be seriously curtailed by some combinations of A levels.

If when you do get around to thinking about it you are going to be disappointed if you aren't eligible for what you then decide on its better to plan ahead.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now