top Tips please to assess 6th forms

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ToadMum

Re: top Tips please to assess 6th forms

Post by ToadMum »

DS1 changed schools for sixth form, from a boys' grammar with mixed sixth form to a girls' grammar with a mixed sixth. Settling in wasn't a particular issue, as he already had friends at the school and both schools are local so no problems about keeping up with existing friends. Locally, most pupils stay where they are for sixth form, but there is still quite a lot of movement, with all schools welcoming new entrants at 16 and two colleges offering post-16 courses.

I would agree that the norm should probably be to continue at the same school if possible, but would not want to see movement restricted unnecessarily.

(This evening, DD decided that she would like to go to boarding school for A levels, please, accepting that we would probably prefer her to be able to get a scholarship. She is only in year 9 and tends to have a new idea every month or so, so I'm not rushing, but I suppose we'd better have a look just in case this passing fad turns out not to be :lol: ).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

We have a local school with very very good value-added (see I'm getting more sophisticated-not just looking at final grades!) that does day and boarding. The latest one getting my laser beam!

The absolute final grades are very good for a non-sel and when you see the starting material it is eye-popping.

Now to get my dd to be less biased against it...
Amber

Post by Amber »

silverysea wrote:Now to get my dd to be less biased against it...
Start by saying, "I really hope you don't decide to go there".
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

:mrgreen:
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Not sure what Mr green means but I'm grinning amber
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Oh dear, the faith school got a big thumbs down, but the Grammar possibility is, well, a possibility!

But sadly upon reading all the fineprint, it seems that Latymer reserves even its Sixth Form for certain postcodes for the 50 places for new entrants.

I don't suppose they would be bothered about a talented musician for Sixth form? She is good I am told by more than one teacher and doing very well at GCSE, it might be an A level choice.

I hope others like DAO or WGGS don't have these catchment strictures hiding in all the reams of info! She was quite taken with all three of those, at least on paper.

We are planning to move but these were not areas that suit me or dd2 for our commute very well.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Anyone can apply to DAO and if she is interested in music she will have plenty of opportunities.

Those who join the sixth form make a big impact on the school. The new Head boy managed to secure the job after less than two terms at the school, Grease last year had both leads new to the school, the Sandy actress was from NLCS and Danny from I think Habs ( who also was Hamlet earlier on in the year) and another male solo from St Albans boys. The Leader of Concert Band last year was also from NLCS.

There are three classes in the year doing GCSE Music and they have the only music department I know with an A level intake of double figures in each year. HBS has nobody at all doing A level Music in Current Year 12. DG
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Wow that's quite an exodus from indy at 6th form! Wonder if the other GS get that too?

I guess there is supposed to be a bias for state schools at Uni admissions, though indies still provided the majority of the top slice of candidates I believe.

She really hates the idea of indy, try as I might. STAHs would be a real possibility and she could still see her friends.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I don't think it is to do with University. The music and the drama is a big draw, if you come to a concert or play you will understand why. Shame you just missed the Threepenny Opera and Concerto Concert and Soul Band at the end of term. Then there is the draw of students from the opposite sex.... DG
copella

Post by copella »

A pity you don't fit in the postcodes silvery sea. Latymers music dept and drama dept is brilliant and she woukd have been a great addition. Are you only looking at sixth form schools? Woodhouse college has a very good reputation.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now