top Tips please to assess 6th forms

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Tolstoy

Re: top Tips please to assess 6th forms

Post by Tolstoy »

Should the DC do the visits in y10 or is it fine to wait until y11? DS2 not keen to start looking yet.
KB

Post by KB »

In our area its generally in year 11 but we are 'out in the sticks' not in what sounds like ultra competitive environment in London. Our local GS is highly selective for outside candidates into 6th form but open days are early in year 11 and application process starts soon after. There is no need to have done any preparation in year 10.

I guess the only reason for DC being involved sooner is if you think they need motivation but if they prefer a less competitive 6th form then that could back fire!
Its possible that DC might be a bit overwhelmed by it having just started GCSEs ( just a general thought - your DC may be totally different of course).
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Thanks KB, he only has two to look at if he moves school, which at the moment
I would prefer. Think one is probably very competitive but that is likely to put him off and I prefer the other option. He appears to be surprisingly motivated for the moment so that's not an issue.

We managed to miss the y7 open evenings this year, hence the concern, are the 6th form ones well advertised?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

are the 6th form ones well advertised?
Usually only on school's website, e.g.

Tiffin School
Open day: 1 October 2015
Last date for application: 18 December 2015
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Thanks Tiffinboys, I shall have to be organised and get the dates in my calendar pronto. :)
KB

Post by KB »

They tend to be at the same time each year so you should be able to make an educated guess if not already published.

Enjoy having a motivated year 10 DS - I had one of those many many years ago. Not such plain sailing since :)
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

You have my sympathies I am well experienced with the alternative but after last year I deserve a break. Think all the disruption has had a positive effect on some of them and long may it last :)
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Ok what do you think, North London long list for Biology and Geography A level for sure, non-selective state school but very academic, girl, plays 2 instruments and a bit sporty. Chafing at the bit to be treated as an individual- is a a smaller independent school likely to help? Mature and interested in society.
-UCS ( my favourite ATM)
-NLCS
-HABS
-SAHS
-HIGHGATE
-Channing
-SHHS
- Mill Hill
May also try HBS and MHCHs or even DAO
I've looked at one or two demanding faith schools but they seem to still require strong faith demonstration, which is not the case for her, I'd heard that was relaxed in some for sixth form.

Have I missed any really good ones?

I realise these are very competitive so would have to try for several to even have a chance.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Is she interested in A level music at all? How important is Music to her?

You need a shortlist of A levels in order to really focus on the best place.

Why is UCS your favourite at the moment?

Have you considered Latymer?

DG
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Well I'm not sure about other A levels yet. She is really doing well in music though, also in Physics and French, and enjoys them more as she is getting more success, which is the right direction at last. Has had a few A* in exams, a 100% in one French test which pleased her massively, and A* all music performances so far and her classmates also gave her A* on the recordings which is important to her. It seems a demanding subject but catches her imagination somehow. I'd prefer Physics as a career-minded addition to Bio and Geog but I'm biased to science as a career for her- who knows what the best options will be in a few years time?

I discovered a new career option for her, soundscape engineer! Biology Geography Physics and surely all this musical training would be useful. She's very undecided and "meh" about careers, vaguely thinking of teaching. Likes TV shows about prisons and borstals!

I hadn't thought of Latymer, thanks! Will investigate.

I haven't studied all these yet in detail, but She's a bit negative on girls schools ( though not totally off the idea) when I realised some boys schools were an option, it seemed like a eureka moment-she seems happy in "male" company, environments and subjects, likes beating boys when possible, and UCS especially as it's billed as giving more independence, good for music and her sport (fencing), plus near my workplace which could be handy. I first looked at St Albans Boys but it sounded like they told them exactly what to do and when to do it, I think she needs and can be more self-starting and self-motivated.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now