Paying for transport.

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

scary mum

Re: Paying for transport.

Post by scary mum »

Oxford Brookes certainly does, at least for some buses (£1 on others) so it can get better when they go to uni!
scary mum
daveg

Post by daveg »

Tolstoy wrote:The public transport is pants where we live so the only feesable way for him to get to school is School transport. He can't drive, which would be cheaper
Insuring a car for an 18 year old to drive to college will be several thousand pounds per year.
daveg

Post by daveg »

2childmum wrote:It's not just fares. I've lost count of the number of places we have been where I have had to pay adult prices for my 17 year old, but if he were a student at uni he would be charged less. I always argue the point, much to the embarrassment of DS, but with varied success.
A 17 year old at college can get an NUS card and an ISIC card, and get student discounts.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

daveg wrote:
Tolstoy wrote:The public transport is pants where we live so the only feesable way for him to get to school is School transport. He can't drive, which would be cheaper
Insuring a car for an 18 year old to drive to college will be several thousand pounds per year.
That's not true - DD's was about £900 - a couple of hundred more than the bus, but a lot more flexible.
scary mum
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Anyone over 14 can get an NUS if their school is on the right list. I'll dig out the link later.
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

scary mum wrote:
daveg wrote:
That's not true - DD's was about £900 - a couple of hundred more than the bus, but a lot more flexible.

We have been quoted about £2000 by more than one insurer. I suspect it depends on where you live.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

2childmum wrote:

We have been quoted about £2000 by more than one insurer. I suspect it depends on where you live.
So were we for some - they vary enormously.
scary mum
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

As promised here is the link for NUS student cards. Any one over 14 can get one, as long as your school is registered with them.

http://www.nus.org.uk/en/nus-extra/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pleased as punch

Post by pleased as punch »

Tinkers wrote:As promised here is the link for NUS student cards. Any one over 14 can get one, as long as your school is registered with them.

http://www.nus.org.uk/en/nus-extra/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for the link but please note the small print says 'have to be over 16' not 14.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Thanks. That must have changed recently. When I looked a few months ago it was 14.

Still, it will hopefully be of use to those with DCs doing A levels.