Recommendations for French novels

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Twinkle

Recommendations for French novels

Post by Twinkle »

DS is going into the Sixth Form in September and will be studying A Level French. Can anyone recommend any French books that he might read over the summer? . Something fairly modern and not too long or complicated would be ideal. We already have L'Etranger at home but he has some money that he would like to spend on some other novels.

Thanks!
Amber

Re: Recommendations for French novels

Post by Amber »

If he only has GCSE French I imagine he will struggle to cope with a full novel in the language. I couldn't cope with German ones until I had almost done my A levels. There is also a chance that once his GCSEs are done he might not wish to spend the summer reading tricky foreign novels. If neither of these things apply and he is either bilingual or very studious then hopefully some suggestions from Jayne Eyre and Moved will spur him on. And what about listening to online news broadcasts and reading French websites? Might be a bit more interesting and accessible to a 16 year old lad.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I did French O level a year early and we read 'L'etranger' and 'La malade imaginaire' (excuse spelling) in the 5th year (Year 11 in new money). I enjoyed them at the time but I agree with Amber's suggestions - big libraries have French newspapers and what about Foreign subtitles?
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

Thank you Amber and G55. All very good points and suggestions. He is not bilingual but loves the challenge of the language and is pretty good. I wouldn't be suggesting to him that he read anything at this summer at all but he has managed to win a school prize which is cash which he is required to spend on books that will then be presented to him at prize giving. The other A levels he has chosen don't lend themselves as well to buying books. Unless anyone has any ideas for biology books? We are open minded!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Does he have to buy academic books? I see a wide variety of books presented at Prize Giving ...
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

I suppose you are right, I hadn't thought about that. In fact I now remember that my ( very academic) DH chose a book on the Best of Morecambe and Wise for his school prize! :lol: But DS is not a boy who would sit down to read an English novel ( or even one on Morecambe and Wise ) for pleasure :roll: so he thinks that he would like to spend the money on something worth while in the context of his A Levels ( interestingly he thinks that reading a French novel would be worthwhile due to the challenge of translation - he can see a purpose in this!).
Amber

Post by Amber »

Cookery books every time. Will come in handy when he heads off to the Sorbonne, and in the meantime he can give you a delicious summer. Our first brush with Sam Stern came courtesy of a school prize giving and we have never looked back; and most teenage boys will warm to Jamie in print.
KB

Post by KB »

How about something that widens horizons related to biology or his other A level? Is he likely to do an EPQ? If so then maybe a biology ( or the third subject) topic that might be of interest in that direction.

Great to have a few months without pressure when interests can be followed.
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

What a fab suggestion Amber! I like it. He could even impress his girlfriend :wink:
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

KB wrote:How about something that widens horizons related to biology or his other A level? Is he likely to do an EPQ? If so then maybe a biology ( or the third subject) topic that might be of interest in that direction.
He is not doing an EPQ and his other A Levels are maths and probably physics. Do you have suggestions re biology books KB ( I realise its a wide discipline)?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now