September 2015, Y12s/6th form

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
heartmum

September 2015, Y12s/6th form

Post by heartmum »

So how are everyone's DCs settling into the new routine of 6th form? DC seems so much happier now, even though the work level has jumped up a notch and the homework is coming in thick and fast ... DC says the environment seems much calmer, the teachers not just teach them but listen and talk to them as adults, the whole dynamic has changed. Long may these positive vibes last :lol: :lol:
Heartmum x x x
Bookmark

Re: September 2015, Y12s/6th form

Post by Bookmark »

DD is feeling rather down and feels she will not adjust to her new 6th form. She finds it hard to deal with changes but thought she would be stupid to decline an offer from such a good school. She is talking about going back to her old school ; I am not sure whether to encourage it or not, I am worried she might come to regret it as her heart is set on a course at Imperial for university and her new school is really experienced in sending girls in top unis, but I also want her to be happy. Sorry just venting my worries :cry:
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I am pretty sure another foramite had a similar issue with their DS last year. Try scrolling back as I can't remember what they decided in the end.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Tolstoy wrote:I am pretty sure another foramite had a similar issue with their DS last year. Try scrolling back as I can't remember what they decided in the end.
Here you go:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 5&start=10
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Bookmark wrote:DD is feeling rather down and feels she will not adjust to her new 6th form. She finds it hard to deal with changes but thought she would be stupid to decline an offer from such a good school. She is talking about going back to her old school ; I am not sure whether to encourage it or not, I am worried she might come to regret it as her heart is set on a course at Imperial for university and her new school is really experienced in sending girls in top unis, but I also want her to be happy. Sorry just venting my worries :cry:
Bookmark sorry to hear your DDs feeling down, through life we have forks in the road and make a choice hoping it's the correct one, I am sure in the long term it will be the right choice but at the moment with everything all so new it's just so alien to her. Hope it sorts itself out soon, nothing worse for a parent than seeing our DCs not happy in their choices X x x
Heartmum x x x
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Sorry to hear it, Bookmark. Change is always difficult. My DS seems to have settled back in OK, enjoying only having to do the subjects he is interested in, although this morning he almost missed bus but and seemed stressed about how much "stuff" he had. I kept quiet about the fact that I always tell them it's best to get organised the night before. It didn't seem quite the right moment :lol: :roll:
scary mum
doodles

Post by doodles »

:D :D scary mum. My DS went into school in the wrong shoes on day 1 - the words "I told you do" never passed my lips I promise :D :D

He seems to be working very hard already but like others is enjoying only doing his chosen subjects.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Bookmark don't worry too much - even staying at the same school there seems to be a slightly unexpected settling-in period for my son as some friends have left, forms have been mixed and not to everyone's liking, and lots of new boys have started. That's apart from new subjects to be studied, new teachers, and new responsibilities. I think they'll all take a while to settle in, whether they've changed schools or not. Good luck and hope it all works out soon.