WGGS 6th Form Open Evening tonight - Parking???

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
silverysea

WGGS 6th Form Open Evening tonight - Parking???

Post by silverysea »

HI

Can anyone advise where to park for this? I don't know the area at all.

Any tips for what to look out for? Especial strengths, weaknesses?

Thanks

SS
noonynunu

Re: WGGS 6th Form Open Evening tonight - Parking???

Post by noonynunu »

silverysea wrote:Can anyone advise where to park for this? I don't know the area at all.
You could park at the Tesco Extra, Waterfields or one of the car parks for the Harlequin shopping centre. You will need to walk from there but certainly Tesco and Waterfields are fairly close (near to Watford High Street train station).

I'm not sure you will get a space on the nearby streets but if you want to try you could drive around the Watford Fields area as there are pay and display meters on Watford Field Road (many of the other nearby roads are residents permit parking only).

HTH.
Hera

Post by Hera »

Tesco is only 2 hours. Church is open 24 hours and 2 mins from the school. See the link if it works.

https://citipark.co.uk/car-parks/church-street-watford" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The easiest way to explain where it is; if you drive down Lady's Close and turn left it is on your right just after you pass the top of Vicarage Road. I use it now after my hefty parking fine when at a meeting at the school :cry:
noonynunu

Post by noonynunu »

Hera wrote:Tesco is only 2 hours.
Really, and when was that put into play? That's something new I've learned today. I've lived in Watford for quite some years (24 years, 8 years in Watford Fields) and have never even see a traffic warden there let along get a ticket. I shop at the Tesco Extra three times a week and often leave my car there while I go shopping on the high street or go to the restaurants in Watford Met Quarter.

Given that the Tesco has restaurants/cafes etc. on site, it is highly unlikely they would ever impose a 2 hour limit.

I would also suggest that Church car park can be best found on the ring road. I never park there as the spaces are very tight and I've had my doors dented a number of times.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Thanks both that was very helpful !

I ended up not finding either but ended up in a place not far and knew it would be near enough. It was very dark rainy and busy!

Loved the school, I will suggest she applies there.
Hera

Post by Hera »

Glad you liked it; it is a great school.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Really liked it! The students and teachers were so pleasant to talk to, I actually enjoyed myself. Matches so well with dd1 a interests. In a way I'm glad she didn't go, I think it would have put her off NLCS - entrance test today (4x1 hour exams in her subjects!).

Now how to break it to her that wggc have a uniform in sixth... She's not clothes oriented but it's more about being regarded as very juvenile or immature, I think. In fact she rarely bothers to change out of her (very similar) uniform as it is comfy and practical. Hopefully she will regard it as the minor detail in a bigger picture.

We will just apply to all the schools anyway and cross bridges later I guess.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

silverysea wrote:Really liked it! The students and teachers were so pleasant to talk to, I actually enjoyed myself. Matches so well with dd1 a interests. In a way I'm glad she didn't go, I think it would have put her off NLCS - entrance test today (4x1 hour exams in her subjects!).

Now how to break it to her that wggc have a uniform in sixth... She's not clothes oriented but it's more about being regarded as very juvenile or immature, I think. In fact she rarely bothers to change out of her (very similar) uniform as it is comfy and practical. Hopefully she will regard it as the minor detail in a bigger picture.

We will just apply to all the schools anyway and cross bridges later I guess.
Will your DD have a chance to look at Watford Girls' herself in the meantime? The application forms for our local sixth forms are very much coming from the young person him/herself and I wouldn't have considered DS1 'sending himself' (okay,I actually did fill in most of the forms, or he would never have gone anywhere, even stayed where he was :lol: ) to a school he hadn't seen, in an unfamiliar town.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Hera

Post by Hera »

The Christmas fair on 22nd November might give her an opportunity to get a feel for the school as there will be lots of teachers and pupils there even if it isn't a real school day.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Oh yes we will visit any schools she hasn't got to see in person.

Unfortunately we have missed some open events, I have a very sick relative abroad and have to keep going over there. One of the indys I decided to ask for a late application and the other a late application to try for a music scholarship (may as well) and they both obliged which was nice of them. And now she is in the thick of exams, auditions and interviews for 3 independent schools all this month, plus has mocks to revise for at the start of December. At least for the indys we should be able to revisit, in the even that she is offered more than one. We will pay the deposit and keep it in our pocket and then see what she gets offered if any for the grammars. If all else fails she can stay where she is. She is worried about abandoning one friend who is a bit needy atm.

A Christmas Fair is an excellent idea, we did that when we were looking at primaries, and a summer fair at HBS too I had forgotten that useful strategy for getting a feel for a place! thanks. I might see if there are others though mostly we are going to get to the open events.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now