For Those Doing Maths and Further Maths

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
2childmum

Re: For Those Doing Maths and Further Maths

Post by 2childmum »

Going back to the A level in year 12/Further in year 13 question. DS has done this, having done AS maths in year 11, and the school he went to for sixth form also follow this pattern. So far he has had offers from 3 unis (2 Russell Group and one very well thought of for physics) and all three have made him offers on 2 A-levels (i.e. they are accepting his A* gained in Year 12) and are not asking for 3 sat together. He asked at all the unis he visited, and they all said they would accept the year 12 Alevel as one of the 3 - in fact Birmingham seemed very keen on the idea, although he is still waiting to hear back from them. He also asked at Oxford - in the department and at 3 different colleges, and they all said they would probably only ask for 2 more, subject to PAT and interview, but he was so unimpressed with the physics department he decided not to apply, despite it being his aim for several year now.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Thanks KenR although I have no idea what your talking about but I will pass on your advise to my son.

Very interesting 2childmum and thank you for your input.

I'm still a little muddled about the issue but DS seems quite sanguine about it all.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Catseye wrote:At my son's school they do Maths A2 at the end of the lower sixth and A2 FM at the end of upper sixth.
Is this normal practice? Would it not be better to both together at the end of upper sixth?
Same at DS's school.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now