Refusing a 6th form place due to age?

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Catseye

Re: Refusing a 6th form place due to age?

Post by Catseye »

Guest55 wrote:Catseye - the best mathematicians do MAT and STEP alongside A levels .... no need for a gap year.
You are of course right but I think my DS would not do very well at STEP this time next yr he is only just now begining to think like a real mathematician.
I think an extra year of maturity would do him good, we will see, he could surprise me but I doubt it.

Just trying to keep options open for him as much as possible.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Going way off topic but perhaps Oxbridge is not the best option?
solimum

Post by solimum »

When DS1 did a "Year in Industry" (several years ago) he was offered the chance to do an advanced maths course through distance learning during the year to keep his skills up to date (this was for an engineering degree, so he had A level maths, & spent a year in an industrial placement). http://www.etrust.org.uk/the-year-in-industry" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Must have done the trick as he is now working (finally) for an engineering consultancy-type organisation following his PhD...
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Thank you Sollimum.
Guest55 wrote:Going way off topic but perhaps Oxbridge is not the best option?
It's not my ambition but his, I've been there,done that and got the T-shirt.

As a loving parent it's not my job to tell my DC what they should do but to help them realise their own dreams and my advice has always been aim high and if you fall short then that's still OK as long you learnt something along the way!

I am very realistic and tbh I don't think the boy has it in him and I keep telling him it's not the be all or end all of things-the pace at Oxbridge is intense.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It's not just that, it's the particular focus on pure mathematics which is not everyone's cup of tea - continue by PM if you wish - sorry for de-railing the thread a bit.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

I am sorry to have got so shirty with you g55.

But it winds me up that the default assumption people make is that any ambitious child is invariably due to some pushy overbearing parent -I am anything but :D

Anyway Tolstoy have you heard back from the admin officer yet?
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Don't mind my posts going off topic once I've got the answers I needed which I did immediately from G55 and S-A amongst others . Good to know that complaints are dealt with swiftly S-A but worrying to think how many are breaking the code. I guess many won't even realise they are doing it.

Won't hear anything now until conditional offers do or don't go out Catseye. I'm not sure how the system works re-offers for 6th form. Do they have to inform a student why they are being refused one?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Tolstoy wrote:I'm not sure how the system works re-offers for 6th form. Do they have to inform a student why they are being refused one?
From the Admissions Code 2014, and this applies to all school places, regardless of the point of entry:
Right to appeal

2.24 When an admission authority informs a parent of a decision to refuse their child a place at a school for which they have applied, it must include the reason why admission was refused; information about the right to appeal; the deadline for lodging an appeal and the contact details for making an appeal. Parents must be informed that, if they wish to appeal, they must set out their grounds for appeal in writing. Admission authorities must not limit the grounds on which appeals can be made.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Thanks S-A,
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

https://www.tes.com/news/school-news/br ... djudicator" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pertinant me- thinks :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now