Humanities options for 6th form

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
hisqmt

Humanities options for 6th form

Post by hisqmt »

A while ago the forum offered some great advice about selecting a 6th form for my art and humanities loving daughter. Now she has a dilemma, she has been lucky enough to be offered a place at HB and DAO to do Art, Lit, History and Maths. She has spent the weekend going backwards and forwards between the two. They are both fabulous schools and I have tried to reassure her that she can't make a bad choice. She would have friends in DAO because we are local. However, for her, art is the priority does anyone know what the art is like in HB?
piggys

Re: Humanities options for 6th form

Post by piggys »

Hi. My dd is in y10 at HBS and IMO the art is of an excellent standard. lots of dds take it for GCSE and there are loads of art exhibitions all year round. My dd isn't a natural art student and didn't choose it as one of her GCSE options but a lot of her friends have.
HTH.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

piggys wrote:Hi. My dd is in y10 at HBS and IMO the art is of an excellent standard. lots of dds take it for GCSE and there are loads of art exhibitions all year round. My dd isn't a natural art student and didn't choose it as one of her GCSE options but a lot of her friends have.
HTH.
How many go on to take it at A level?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

hisqmt wrote:She would have friends in DAO because we are local. However, for her, art is the priority does anyone know what the art is like in HB?
Well, it's in the eye of the beholder :wink:

My DD is considering Art A level or R.S as her 3rd A level but I have warned her A level is very time consuming and to get top grades is nigh on impossible :o
KB

Post by KB »

6th form is often a time of change for young people when hormones are all over the place and big decisions are having to be made under the added pressure of exams etc.
If they are both good schools with regard to art provision ( presumably she was satisfied with this before applying) then she should probably go with her heart because emotional health is critical for academic performance.
There will be challenges ahead do definitely don't be a position where she thinks you have influenced her.
Having friends ( assuming there isn't any baggage) could be important, as is the ability for independent travel for extra curricular and social activities.
These factors are probably going to impact her more than a hairs breath of difference between the art departments.
piggys

Post by piggys »

According to the website HBS had 15 take the A level this year.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

piggys wrote:According to the website HBS had 15 take the A level this year.
I had a look at the past performances of the candidates at both in Art and viewed purely in isolation of those 15, 13 of them obtained A stars and the others an A and B.There were similarly strong performances from 2014 to 2016 although less candidates which was as far as I looked.At DAO the pictures for 2015 and 2016 was more mixed.

You will clearly be making a decision on many more factors.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

I have difficult relationship with my DD although I luv her to bits, she is so much like me :o Now that turret has turned towards her as my son is leaving to make his own way in life the relationship became even more tense.

But we made our peace on Malibu beach in Los Angeles on our summer holiday-she dragged me to the beach but although we are alike , headstrong and bloodyminded, I hate sand getting into every orifice and frightened of the surf but she loves it :roll:

I never came to the beach, or stood by the ocean
I never sat by the shore, under the sun with my feet in the sand
But you brought me here and I'm happy that you did
'Cause now I'm as free as birds catching the wind
I always thought I would sink, so I never swam
I never went boatin', don't get how they are floatin'
And sometimes I get so scared of what I can't understand

But here I am, next to you
The sky's more blue in Malibu
Next to you in Malibu
Next to you

We watched the sun go down as we were walking
I'd spent the rest of my life standing here talking
You would explain the current, as I just smile
Hoping that you'll stay the same, and nothing will change
And it'll be us, just for a while
Do we even exist?
That's when I make the wish, to swim away with the fish
Is it supposed to be this hot all summer long?
I never would've believed you if three years ago you told me
I'd be here writing this song

The sky's so blue in Malibu
Next to you in Malibu
Next to you
Next to you
Next to you

We are just like the waves that flow back and forth
Sometimes I feel like I'm drowning
And you're there to save me
And I wanna thank you with all of my heart
It's a brand new start
A dream come true in Malibu

Who says I'm not down with the hood ? I can do Miley Cyrus :o - I can do modern- if it good but it has to be good :wink:
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Catseye wrote:I have difficult relationship with my DD although I luv her to bits, she is so much like me :o Now that turret has turned towards her as my son is leaving to make his own way in life the relationship became even more tense.

But we made our peace on Malibu beach in Los Angeles on our summer holiday-she dragged me to the beach but although we are alike , headstrong and bloodyminded, I hate sand getting into every orifice and frightened of the surf but she loves it :roll:

I never came to the beach, or stood by the ocean
I never sat by the shore, under the sun with my feet in the sand
But you brought me here and I'm happy that you did
'Cause now I'm as free as birds catching the wind
I always thought I would sink, so I never swam
I never went boatin', don't get how they are floatin'
And sometimes I get so scared of what I can't understand

The sky's more blue in Malibu
Next to you in Malibu
Next to you

We watched the sun go down as we were walking
I'd spent the rest of my life standing here talking
You would explain the current, as I just smile
Hoping that you'll stay the same, and nothing will change
And it'll be us, just for a while
Do we even exist?
That's when I make the wish, to swim away with the fish
Is it supposed to be this hot all summer long?
I never would've believed you if three years ago you told me
I'd be here writing this song

Next to you in Malibu
Next to you
Next to you
Next to you

We are just like the waves that flow back and forth
Sometimes I feel like I'm drowning
And you're there to save me
And I wanna thank you with all of my heart
It's a brand new start
A dream come true in Malibu

Who says I'm not down with the hood ? I can do Miley Cyrus :o - I can do modern- if it good but it has to be good :wink:

Bearing in mind some of her past activities and the fact that this is a family forum, so to speak, one hopes that you will not get the urge to go much further than quoting young Ms C's lyrics :lol:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

She is free as "birds catching the wind" good on her , feminism cannot be defined or restrained by men's concept of what is morally acceptable.

Men have got away with their misogyny for centuries and no one blinks an eyelid -men have been degrading and belittling women for egons- sexuality is a weapon to be used strategically :o

And when a woman has the 'balls' to confront them , talking the only language they understand, I am accused to being a man :roll: :roll:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now