Is the IB curriculum really better than A levels ?

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
QUEENMA

Is the IB curriculum really better than A levels ?

Post by QUEENMA »

Hi everyone,

What is the real value of doing IB over others here in the UK ?
Do children doing IB get an advantage for UNI admissions ?
I have heard so many conflicting stories including medical schools do not look upon IB favourably.

Iam keen on my child doing IB simply because it offers international possibilities - but confused with all the conflicting information...please can someone explain the difference and / or advantages ?

Many thanks
Queenma
ToadMum

Re: Is the IB curriculum really better than A levels ?

Post by ToadMum »

Does the IB really confer any advantage abroad over A levels? Major universities will be able to quote entrance requirements wrt A levels, just as UK universities are able to make offers based on the IB and other national equivalents. A levels are taken in other countries, not just the UK. Or is this not what you meant?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
KB

Post by KB »

The advantage would be if the material covered is better suited to your children's requirements - if they want to keep more breath of study.
It's really about their preference.
As ToadMum says, for worldwide Uni entrance A levels will be accepted and indeed in the UK are still the norm.
The results do come out earlier so thhere could be a practical advantage if applying to some overseas universities?
franticmum

Post by franticmum »

My daughter's grammar school offers only the IB at sixth form having previously offered A-levels as well. My understanding of it is that it suits the all-rounder or those who cannot decide what they wish to pursue as the six subjects keeps options open. There is also much flexibility once the course has started to swap subjects and levels (even to start a swap to a new subject, depending on time into the course). There is also scope after the first year to change levels within a subject choice.

I believe the universities like the IB as it forces a more all-rounded person as they have to do community work, creative and active pursuits under the CAS, covers theory of knowledge where they are asked to question everything. It includes plenty of independent 'research' projects within the subjects and also the 'extended essay' (a 4000-word research project of their own choice). It is true that someone doing A-levels could do the Extended Project Qualification (or whatever it is called) or voluntary work but with the IB, this is part of the curriculum but not necessarily forming part of the final marks. I understand from talks at school that there is much merit in doing maths and English beyond year 11.

As mentioned in previous posts, we have personal experience at Glasgow uni when we visited the admissions stand and were told that they 'really like the IB'. He then told us he was Head of Admissions. The IB is a challenging course but there are still plenty of good unis that offer for those with lower marks so its not just for high achievers.

This is my perception of it. Hope that helps.
Tree

Post by Tree »

I think its swings and roundabouts, whilst i can see that the wider breadth etc is all good for some subjects we have just been visiting uni's for engineering and a few of the tutors have said they prefer A levels cos they are more focused and in depth on maths/physics and some of the students taking IB were complaining that the higher level maths is hard to do with all the other subjects etc so i think it depends a little on the desired uni subject. When we were looking at unis a couple of years ago for economics, students where complaining that higher maths was required for IB but only a level maths for a level, which was thought unfair.
QUEENMA

Post by QUEENMA »

Thank you all for your explanations and responses - really helpful ! Apologies , its taken me a while to respond as was away due to work !

Queenma
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

For science-orientated students A level seems to suit them better. A level maths has a choice of applied modules which IB does not.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Thanks for that nugget G55.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now