Results coming soon

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
KS10

Re: Results coming soon

Post by KS10 »

Feel a bit sorry for them but these things happen. A nice lunch on Thursday, I think.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

Good luck for those waiting.

Also waiting anxiously for 3 sets of results this year: ds1's A2 results, and my Irish twins - ds2 and dd1's GCSEs results. :)

Can anyone advise about track and clearing. Not sure how track will help ds1, if he's missed his grades and 2 offers, as he has to collect his results from school around 8am, earliest on Thursday.
When does ucas usually update track? So if he finds out he has to go through clearing, and that starts earlier than his school visit, surely he'll miss out on clearing as he wont know his grades to consider other course options. How do you get around that?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

UCAS site says 08:00 for track - I'd try to access that first and then go in if offers are missed.

Clearing in usually on the Telegraph site http://clearing.telegraph.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but the full list won't be there yet. It might be wise to think about some 'what if' scenarios so places are not accepted in a panic.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

DIY Mum wrote:Good luck for those waiting.

Also waiting anxiously for 3 sets of results this year: ds1's A2 results, and my Irish twins - ds2 and dd1's GCSEs results. :)

Can anyone advise about track and clearing. Not sure how track will help ds1, if he's missed his grades and 2 offers, as he has to collect his results from school around 8am, earliest on Thursday.
When does ucas usually update track? So if he finds out he has to go through clearing, and that starts earlier than his school visit, surely he'll miss out on clearing as he wont know his grades to consider other course options. How do you get around that?
What a summer! So many results in one week. re track - it is being updated now and will be reopened on Thursday morning, the official time is 0800, in fact it is usually earlier - from messages last year it was 0730, other times it has been earlier. The thing about track is that it is a YES or NO, and can be YES even if the grades aren't quite there.
As far as I know the official clearing bit of UCAS doesn't open until 5pm although lots of phoning can be done then... actually I'll stop burbling and give you this link ... http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content ... o-clearing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Last year track wasn't updated until 8am, which was when DD could go on line & get her results anyway. She did get am email from the university before 8am (about 7.30am) so knew she had a place at the back up university & had therefore missed the grades she needed for her first choice. It was quite a good way of doing it as knowing she had a place took away the upset of not doing as well as she had hoped.
Most people will be in the same boat - all the clearing options won't vanish in am instant, but might be worth thinking through the "what ifs". The clearing lists usually go on line ?the day before (sorry haven't read all the posts!)
scary mum
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Get yourselves over to the weird, wacky but in matters such as these very helpful TSR (hope okay to post url?http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk), folks. Very clear info on what's what in terms of Track, clearing etc.

5pm, according to my understanding, refers to the earliest time that you (or rather, your DC) can actually enter a clearing place onto Track, having ascertained during the day with the university concerned that they have a place that they will offer you. Offers made via Clearing only remain valid for a short time (between 12 and 48 hours has been mentioned), which means both that he the candidate has secured several possible places, they need to enter their favourite as soon as possible, and that places offered but not subsequently taken up go back into the pool.

Track will go live at about 8am, but this will be a 'snapshot' - a change in status is as it stands (a change to 'confirmed' or something similar for either the firm or insurance offer, hopefully not a 'no' for both), but no change in status is impossible to fathom without the context of results because the main thing it means is that neither university's decision has made it onto Track at that time. The next update will be a few hours later.

I think I've remembered all that fairly accurately. Just practising for our next one in three years' time...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
KB

Post by KB »

And don't forget the option of delaying a year if not certain about what's available through clearing.
DCs may feel a lot of pressure to get something so they don't feel left out but it's a big decision so not a good idea to 'panic'.
A year seems a long time when they are 18 but there are still many who take a gap year so there will be a good number their own age if they go a year later.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

KB wrote:A year seems a long time when they are 18 but there are still many who take a gap year so there will be a good number their own age if they go a year later.
I have tried to tell that to my son, one year is nothing and I think he needs the extra time to mature-a summer born.

For the universities he is aiming for, only the STEP- a mother of all exams- counts.

Personally, I would prefer him go to good Redbrick Uni.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

Thank-you for all your valuable advice.

Our experience with track has been slow. How awful it would be if it played up on results day? I've been told by ds1 that he has to go into school at 9am. I suppose if we don't hear from either uni by midday, we can assume it's clearing / gap year.
Was speaking to a relative who's been through the process. And it was interesting to note that her son's indie school invited certain students in on the eve of results day to discuss clearing, as it was a strong possibility that they've missed both offers. I'm aware that teachers receive results beforehand but didn't realise it could be discussed with pupils until results day.
KB

Post by KB »

I've heard of successful students being contacted the night before to check what time they were collecting results as journalists wanted to see them. The staff didn't actually mention any grades though.
I thought this was on the fringes of being acceptable.
To tell students the night before that they have missed their offers seems to be on very dodgy ground.
Guest probably knows if there are exam board regulations covering it.