Results coming soon

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
hermanmunster

Re: Results coming soon

Post by hermanmunster »

Every year there are stories of Track not updating for certain individuals / unis until later in the day. Nerve wracking for the students but OK if they have their results by then.

Another vote here in favour of a gap year if they don't get the place they want - takes longer than a few hours to sort out a uni for degree etc.

TSR forum is definitely the place (if you stick to the UCAS / applications section :lol: ) .
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

hermanmunster wrote:Every year there are stories of Track not updating for certain individuals / unis until later in the day. Nerve wracking for the students but OK if they have their results by then.

Another vote here in favour of a gap year if they don't get the place they want - takes longer than a few hours to sort out a uni for degree etc.

TSR forum is definitely the place (if you stick to the UCAS / applications section :lol: ) .
Ooh, I have to admit that I don't :shock: . As I have said before, a real Elephant's Child, me. You're never too old to learn something new - for example, Investment Banks are so narrow minded when it comes to recruitment, it would seem, who'd have thunk it?

I've even got 'rep' over there (and no, I don't use the same username as on here, or anything remotely like it :lol: ).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
moved

Post by moved »

Teachers are not allowed to discuss results the day before. The school can lose its licence to hold exams.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

Yes, my dh, also a teacher said that they're not supposed to do that. But as the school being referred to is an independent one based in Edinburgh, perhaps the rules are different.

Toad mum- I'll be looking out for you on the weird and wacky. :wink:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I'm on TSR too - mainly posting in Maths :)
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

moved wrote:Teachers are not allowed to discuss results the day before. The school can lose its licence to hold exams.
Just had a discussion with DH about this (he's a doctor, not a teacher). He seems to think that it's not a bad thing to invite your 'borderlines' in for a chat about clearing, the timing not a problem so long as the person doing it isn't aware of the actual results (I'm beginning to wonder whether there are other professions he could've chosen :lol: ). I think it's a jolly good idea to have a chat with these students, too - just that it should be with the whole cohort and significantly earlier than the day before the results come out. Both from the point of view that no-one can suspect you of letting them know their results ahead of time - and because anyone can have a bad day, or even several, and a calm walk-through the process ahead of the possible need for it can surely only help? NB I have no idea whether DS1's sixth form did this - there are lots of helpful things that they just got on and did, it transpired. When he finally surfaces this morning, I can ask him, I suppose :roll:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

ToadMum wrote: I've even got 'rep' over there (and no, I don't use the same username as on here, or anything remotely like it :lol: ).
Ha ha me too and no I don't use the same name either!!! Actually on the whole I find they are quite tolerant of wrinklies (like me :wink: ).
russet

Post by russet »

Most of the exam boards now have the grade boundaries listed for AS and A level.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

Yes, I agree with your dh, HM.

If it's across the board and no grades are revealed, then it can relieve lots of anxiety and have a positive effect. Dc tend to take their teachers' advice more so than dps.

Atm, ds can't get his head round to consider clearing and alternative courses. Head set on his chosen uni, course and accommodation. What an awful shame if his bubble does burst. So we need to be prepared to support him through that.
ginx

Post by ginx »

I hate waiting! We need to know whether dd1 stays at school, if she does her brother can get into year 7 ... but if her grades are so low she needs to go to college, then so be it.

She just wants to get her envelope and run. If she decides to leave school, does she have to go back in to tell someone, or could she just email?

She's been asked to work all day today, that'll stop her thinking about it. The cafe where she works employs lots of 18 year olds so they have no staff tomorrow morning!

Good luck to all your dc. I'm glad I don't have to think about UCAS; sounds complicated to me.

Good luck!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now