How difficult is Maths AS?

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest55

Re: How difficult is Maths AS?

Post by Guest55 »

As Amber says C1 and C2 are compulsory and then you need an applied module D1, M1 or S1. Some schools allow a free choice but others don't.

My personal preference is M1 but then I love teaching mechanics! If there is a choice then it depends what degree you are thinking of - S1 [boring imho] is useful for Biology, Geography etc. D1 is useful for computing etc.

If she is confident with algebra then she should be fine - she could look at a C1 paper and she will recognise some A* GCSE topics.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

KB wrote:decision maths was seen as the 'easiest' option
This year D1 for edexcel required the lowest raw marks of all the AS and A2 modules for an A, making it comparatively the most difficult paper.

I'm not entirely sure, this is according to my son,he may just be making it up since he got 100%ums in this paper shame he couldn't do it in C4 :roll:
russet

Post by russet »

I am a little confused by the opening post. What is the difference between a natural mathematician and someone who can do maths. It cannot be just that some have to work at it and others do not, because everyone has to learn maths. No one is born knowing Pythagoras, they have to be told, unless they are going to keep re-inventing the wheel. Also, how did an A* have low UMS points?

I ask this mainly because I once had a teacher tell me my daughter was not that good at maths, it was just that she did well in exams. I thought exams were there to judge ability?

Lastly, if you want your daughter to do well, it will be a lot easier if you keep her at a distance from those who are telling her she is not a natural mathematician. "It will probably be a bit beyond you," is not the most motivational phrase. Marcus du Sautoy has a lot more positive attitude and is well worth a read, both for his ability to communicate maths and his encouragement of good mind-sets for learning maths.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

I assumed that the 'low UMS' meant 90/91 ish rather than 99/100. Still an A*, though and students do core with AS and even A2 with a lesser grade.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Kit

Post by Kit »

Toad mum is right, DD got 91 UMS so just over the A* boundary.
I'm no teacher and am a great believer in the 'growth mindset' but wondered whether there is an upper limit of difficulty for how well children can do Maths regardless of how much time they put into it.

DD had a disruptive Maths class for her two GCSE years and wasn't top set and would sit there quietly not understanding. She got a C in her January mocks and was very disappointed so we bought what turned out to be a brilliant online video lesson course with a fabulous teacher 'with flicky hair'. She loved this and worked through all of it by herself. Her trajectory has been amazing since January but I wanted to know whether this could continue at AS level. We have no advice from teachers as DD is changing school and her old Maths teacher has left, but I suspect would not have been too keen, though would have been surprised by her grade!
I've no idea who the video teacher with the flicky hair is in real life but without doubt she made DD believe she could do Maths and got her the A* grade!
russet

Post by russet »

IME what stops a lot of people learning maths is the anxiety that they will not understand it. As soon as they reach something they do not understand then all those people who told them they were bad at maths were right. Maths becomrs a lot easier once tou realise the easiest way to learn it is to come back to it later after the subconscious has had time to figure it out.

Often in lower sets they are not taught the whole syllabus, so that makes her result all the more remarkable.

To teach dd AS, I used the Letts revision guides and Khan Academy videos for the deeper understanding of why things are so. IMO it is important to not only learn it, but also understand it.

All the best to your dd, She sounds like a very dedicated and excellent mathematician.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There is MUCH better than Khan academy which is American and uses 'wrong' terminology - examsolutions is far better and there are others like hegartymaths.

The quality of the teaching and the confidence of the student are both key to learning maths. If algebra is a strength then AS should be fine.

There are so many past papers too and lots of great free UK resources.

Maths UMS does not require 90% for A* - from memory 170/200 was A* for edexcel this year.
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

DS1 is about to start Maths A-level having only achieved an A grade in GCSE Maths (158/200).
He knows it will be a big step up from GCSE but he is motivated and is willing to work hard. He has been reviewing higher GCSE algebra this week in preparation for starting C1.
KB

Post by KB »

I"m sure there is a top level that most people are capable of in most subjects but for someone who gets an A* at GCSE it is unlikely that AS level is beyond them if they have decent teaching and put in the effort.

I would be immensely proud of her attitude and if she carries on like that with her studies there is no reason why she can't do well.
russet

Post by russet »

Yes, dd used examsolutions too. It was also good. G55, I'm wondering if you could put another linky to it for others stumbling onto this thread with children about to start A level maths.